• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Info from 1871 census wanted

Ooops Robert Dodd and Emma Honeybone who seemed to have at least 5 children together but marriage only registered after their births abt 1881 ! yet earlier censuses seem to have them as head & wife. They lived within a few miles in or around Chelsea/ Kensington

I've now found her baptism in Cricklade so that puts paid to that theory.

I have found birth record of Mary Emily Sep 1874 and Minnie Victoria Sep 1876, both Higworth, mmn Honeybone, but I cannot find record for William c1873. Is it possible that Robert was previously married?

I have found no sign of either of them, together or apart, in 1871.

This is very much a shot in the dark and you will need to inspect the original record.

1871 Emma Houghton, age 29. Born Wiltshire. In household of Mari E Handley, 30, born Ireland. St Mary Abbott, Kensington. Also Eliza Horringborn, age 23. No Place of birth.
Emma Honeybone, born 1842, her sister Eliza, born Dec 1847.

Is it possible that this is the sisters, badly transcribed?

I am working from Family Search. Sorry I cannot give you the link.

Just a word of thanks for all the research you have done on my behalf and interest shown. I admit I dont follow everything . The jigsaw is still very puzzling ( as all jigsaws are) but with pieces missing even more frustrating; I'm fairly certain of my family line until that is, it comes to any link to Robert Dodd (1747 -1815) the famous maritime artist ( as was his brother Ralph who was actually knighted but fell on hard times) I remember as a young child my father taking me to Greenwich maritime museum to see several of his (Robert's) works but he never said once that this was actually my great great grandfather and of course in those days he had no way of searching records I suppose. This Robert married a Mary Fulton 30 Oct 1772 at Wapping/ Marylebone , lived at 33 wapping wall in 1779 and later 32 edgware rd and died/buried at St. Dunstans & AllSaints Stepney 1815. My grandfather William Charles Dodd ( 1872-1960) was the child of a Robert Dodd 1839 -90 in a relationship with a Emma Honeybone ( pre- or after marriage ?) Anyway this Robert ( great Grandfather ) has occupation as gasfitter ( on the railway. this figures since both my own father and grandfather worked on the railway)& lived in parish of Kensington. I have his father as age 62 on a 1851 census and His occupation down as painter!! ( co-incidence maybe?) ( census 1861 lived in Stepney married to Sarah ( it seems 30+ years younger than him unless an error in transcript or my eyesight etc. ) Anyway . if anyone's still with me , a friendly librarian has printed me a list of baptisms for 1 Feb 1778 ( dont know how he got it) containing a Robert Dodd child of the said famous artist& Mary as mentioned above but sadly over 10 years out for birth date of my great grandfather !?. Confusing but that's about it. Frustrating. Don't know where else to search or documents to try to send for ! Any more advice welcome, many thanks. Brian