• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Info on a Death Certificate!

Littlemo

Hi All,
Can anyone please tell me, if I send for a Death Certificate from 1894, what information will be on it?
For instance, will it tell me the desceased Date & Place of Birth?
Any Info gratefully received:kissu:
Happy Hunting All
Luv Littlemo xx

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Littlemo

No, sadly it wont give the date and place of birth. They are only listed from 1969 onwards.

An 1894 death certificate will give the deceased's name, age, occupation (although if it is for a married woman or widow it will often say "Widow of Joe Bloggs a Carpenter"), place of death, date of death, and the cause of death. It will also give the name of the informant, and the informant was often a relative. If the death occurred in an institution, then often one of the staff, ie a master, matron or medical officer would register the death.

If the death cert is for a child, it will usually say "Son of" or "daughter of".

Be wary of ages given on death certs, as quite a lot this was guesswork.

If it was in 1894, a doctors certificate would have had to have been issued to certify the death.

Ben

Littlemo

Hi Littlemo

No, sadly it wont give the date and place of birth. They are only listed from 1969 onwards.

An 1894 death certificate will give the deceased's name, age, occupation (although if it is for a married woman or widow it will often say "Widow of Joe Bloggs a Carpenter"), place of death, date of death, and the cause of death. It will also give the name of the informant, and the informant was often a relative. If the death occurred in an institution, then often one of the staff, ie a master, matron or medical officer would register the death.

If the death cert is for a child, it will usually say "Son of" or "daughter of".

Be wary of ages given on death certs, as quite a lot this was guesswork.

If it was in 1894, a doctors certificate would have had to have been issued to certify the death.

Ben
Hi Ben,
Thanks a lot for that,it is really helpful, and it has saved me spending money on a Certificate only to find information I already had.
Thanks Again, Ben,
Luv Littlemo xx

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Littlemo

It wouldn't be a bad idea to send off for the cert anyway as you never know who the informant was and this may be a relative.

I take it you have got this ancestor's baptism and marriage?

Ben

Littlemo

Hi Littlemo

It wouldn't be a bad idea to send off for the cert anyway as you never know who the informant was and this may be a relative.

I take it you have got this ancestor's baptism and marriage?

Ben
Hi Ben,
No, I have neither of these Certificates, I know he was born in Prescot Lancs in 1850, and that in the 1871 Census he was in the Army, but as his wife was born in East India and his first Child was born in Ireland, I"m not having much luck in putting Flesh on Michael Donnelly"s Bones.
Any suggestions you can come up with Ben, would be really appreciated, as for some Unknown Reason I"ve grown rather fond of Michael who is my GGrandad by the way.
And I"m presuming the Informant on the Certificate woud have been his wife Elizabeth, as his children were only 9, 7, 4, & 2.
Thanks for your help Ben
Littlemo xx