• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Inheritance & wills

Sarahkp1987

Hi everyone. I need help with a question. I was wondering for what reason would a spinster of a household that has lots of her Brothers & Sisters within that house leave her inheritance to her Male next door neighbour when she passed? This male was married when the inheritance was given to him. I think I have some inclination of why but I would like others opinions that know more about these things. Thanks so much.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Depends how much the inheritance was. Did the neighbour own the house that she and her siblings lived in. Did she purchase the house with her inhetitance, and paid of a loan.
Did her siblings receive any of her cash, or property.

emeltee

Loyal Member
There are probably a thousand and one reasons why she made her will in that way ranging from a dislike of her siblings to an affair with the said neighbour. Maybe she felt that the siblings needed to make some effort to fend for themselves or perhaps she felt that the neighbour had more need of the money etc. You could spend days trying to work it out but the truth is you will probably never know, unless you find a document which states "I left everything to this man because..."

Sarahkp1987

Depends how much the inheritance was. Did the neighbour own the house that she and her siblings lived in. Did she purchase the house with her inhetitance, and paid of a loan.
Did her siblings receive any of her cash, or property.
It was the sum of 87 pounds, I'm looking to find if the man did indeed own her house, but can't find anything as of yet, also she wasnt the head of the house at the time. Thanks for your reply.

Sarahkp1987

There are probably a thousand and one reasons why she made her will in that way ranging from a dislike of her siblings to an affair with the said neighbour. Maybe she felt that the siblings needed to make some effort to fend for themselves or perhaps she felt that the neighbour had more need of the money etc. You could spend days trying to work it out but the truth is you will probably never know, unless you find a document which states "I left everything to this man because..."
Thanks for your reply. She actually had a child but no father on baptism records and she is known as single all throughout her life and stays within the family home and never moves. I read a blog about ways to make a connection with the missing father by looking on neighbour census records & to see if the Mother had left any male not relating to her household in her will & that she did. I'm at a brick wall with not knowing about the man she had the child with lol its so frustrating.