• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Intestate/Sureties

Lehane

I have just received a copy of the probate (I assume).

It calls the deceased 'intestate' so I was wondering what that meant?

Also, his father in law and brother in law are listed as sureties - what does that mean as well?

I did a quick forum search but I appear to be the only one confused :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Any person who dies without executing (making) a valid last will is known as dying INTESTATE and in that event the deceased's estate is distributed according to the Law on Intestacy.

A surety or guarantee, in finance, is a promise by one party (the guarantor) to assume responsibility for the debt obligation of a borrower if that borrower defaults. The person or company that provides this promise, is also known as a surety or guarantor.

Steve.:)

Lehane

Any person who dies without executing (making) a valid last will is known as dying INTESTATE and in that event the deceased's estate is distributed according to the Law on Intestacy.

A surety or guarantee, in finance, is a promise by one party (the guarantor) to assume responsibility for the debt obligation of a borrower if that borrower defaults. The person or company that provides this promise, is also known as a surety or guarantor.

Steve.:)
So the father and brother in law are backing up the wife's claim to her husbands money?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Wills 5