• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Intriguing photos

gibbo

Loyal Member
If you have a photo you would like to share please feel free to post on here.

My maternal great grandparents. I love this photo.
They look like a pair of gangsters :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
The first wedding picture in the family. The happy couple were my great aunt and her husband.
There are four generations in the picture. My g g grandparents are behind the (not so happy) couple, the two little girls in the front are their g grandchildren, their mother is one of the ladies at the back. and her mother is the tiny lady next to my g g grandfather.
It was taken just after the first world war because my grandfather hadn't been demobbed, which is why he missed it :(

Amanda

Attachments

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
View attachment 3344

This is a castle, or fortified house, on the Wales - England border, which a friend of mine purchased a good few years ago. He has traced it's history back 800 years, but not the owners in the last 150 years or so, as it was rather derelict when he purchased it.
I have helped him fill in the gaps from the the census returns, birth and baptims, and up to the 1970's, via the phone books. He did already know the odd one who lived there in the last 100 years, as their names were carved in the timbers of the kitchen, when they were baptized or born. So I traced those for him, and others who were not known. Also some random names in the mix with no dates, but I traced them with some success.

This photo is after serious renovations, and the before picture(not uploaded), is not a lot different, but clad in scaffolding.

I will not mention it's name or exact location, as he and his family value their privacy.

Steve.:)

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Another member of my family, on my Mum's side, her nephew, my cousin, gave me a photo of my Uncles wedding day, so here it is, in 1931.
My Nan is on the right, behind the bride, and my Grampy is at the back, just about showing his bald head, behind his son.

View attachment 3370

Last edited:

stockpot

Valued Member
Lovely photos!

This one is of my husband's great granddad Daniel Holme, standing outside his house in Millom with his milkcart ~ 1900.
He had only had the milk round for about five year. Prior to that he was a miner. His parents had the Railway Inn at Askam in Furness; his father died there of hepatitis and his brother died there of D.T's. Daniel was married to a woman from a strict Methodist family, she must have hated the pub.

As soon as Daniel's mother died in Askam he moved his family the few miles to Millom and used the pub money to buy a milkround. It was very successful and in 1904 he was about to retire when he cut his hand in the stable where he kept the horse and within a fortnight he was dead from septicaemia. His obituary said he had a hearty disposition and lots of friends.

Attachments

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Just had wander down the field yesterday, and has a beaky in the old farmstead, attached to where I'm living.
I spotted some really interesting stuff in one of the sheds......2 cart wheels, a big vice of some sort, and an old butter churn, plus some rather large bellows.

I've worked out who made the butter churn, and got the maker in the census returns......(yes, I still get sidetracked.):biggrin:
The red 5 litre(1 gallon)petrol can is there to give some scale to the items

Anyway, here's some photo's.

View attachment 3381

View attachment 3382

View attachment 3383

View attachment 3384

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Another favourite of mine. My great grandparents heading for church. 1913

[Steve you found a spare wheel for my lots sulky :cool:]

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hey, Gibbo......give me $400 and you can have them......you pay the postage.:2fun:

Not sure if they make an envelope big enough though.:rolleyes:

Some really great pics here........anyone else got any.:)

Steve.:)

stockpot

Valued Member
re post #11, I saw some bellows like those in the photo at Quarry Bank Mill last week (National Trust property) Pity I didn't read what they were used for!

Elaine