• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Introduction.

Hi
I have plotted my family tree back to my g/g/grandfather William McKay (born Scotland 1817): however, on the 1851 Liverpool census where the family were living, they were spelling their name MacKay. I have William's marriage cert (Chester 1849) which names his father as Robert.

On Scotlands people I have found a Robert MacKay who sired a son, born in Caithness, on the 4th December 1817, and christened him William on 23rd December 1817.

I also have William's death cert (Liverpool 1871). My problem is that, I can't find any verification of my g/g/granpappy's actual date of birth, back in 1817, in Victorian Liverpool!

Unless I can find some official record of William's actual D.O.B, here in the Liverpool/Chester area, I can't say, with certainty, that the boy child born in Scotland on 4th Dec 1817 is really William McKay, my g/g/grandfather; and, therefore, I have a "match"!

Can anyone suggest where I might find a date of birth for William McKay, in the Liverpool / Chester area, or anywhere else for that matter!

(NB, I now notice that ,on his death cert, dated 28th Nov 1871, he is stated as being 54 years old; therefore, as he was born in 1817, he can not yet have had a birthday in 1871, the year that he died! This strongly suggests that he might well have been born in the December of 1817.) Any thoughts anyone?
Best
Ian

Last edited: