• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Introduction

Hi Libby

welcome

to the forum

can you give some details of your grandmother, eg her name, parents, who she married and when, siblings etc

I suggest you start a new thread under say, beginners help
dave

Last edited:
Hi everyone
My name is Michelle
I currently live in Albury NSW Australia. I have been researching my family tree off and on for a while. My Father was brought to Australia as an immigrant kid and has limited knowledge of his parents (most people are aware of these kids stories so I wont go in to the details) My mother is many generations Australian with a few new branches dropping in every now and then.
I am a full time student after working for many years in the Community Service Sector and will be returning to work after the courses are finished. My partner is a hard worker and we foster children.
Thats me in a nut shell.
Michelle

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Michelle and welcome to the Forum.

Please have a look around the forums and then post your queries in the most appropriate ones and someone will try to answer them.

Good luck with your research.

Dave

Hi, my name is Elaine, I am from Newfoundland, Canada and is living in Nova Scotia, Canada. Hoping this site can get me a little closer to where my dads family was from. The surname is Gillam (Gilliaum) and Harvey. Apparently 3 Gillam brothers had moved to Port Aux Basque, or Isle Aux Mort, Newfoundland in the late 1700`s or early 1800`s... Would love to chat if you are from Jersey Island or your ancestors are from that area.

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Elaine

Welcome to the site.

Good luck with your research.

You may want to check out the various 'Forums' in 'Site Navigation'.

Geoff

I've been researching for half a century. I'm also a veteran transcriber. I'm an Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for five West Country parishes (nothing to do with the parish appointed Parish Clerk). I'm also doing a One Name Study (ONS) into the COLLINGRIDGE name plus variant and alternative spellings as well as a One Place Study (OPS).

I have a list of around of 900 names connected to my family, not all of which are being researched! My current focus is on the COLE and BRAN surnames in Hampshire but that can change on a day to day basis, depending on whether someone sends me new information.

I don't like Captchas because I can seldom read the darn things!

Hello everybody

Hello everybody

Looks like everybody else here has joined to research their family tree, well I haven't. Mine is truly a mission impossible with a hundred brick walls.
About ten years ago I took a holiday on the isle of Barra in the outer Hebrides, bought a book of circular walks as I always do and there was a walk on the island of Vatersay which is joined to Barra with a causeway and I noticed one of the waypoints was marked as a monument. I got to the monument perched above one of the most beautiful beaches in the Western isles and found it was a shipping disaster on the 28th of September 1853, when a ship called the Annie Jane was wrecked in that bay and up to 350 emigrants were drowned. It shocked me standing there on a perfect summer day that an event like that had happened in such an idyllic location and that I had never heard of it.
So it stayed with me I read up about it and the more I read the more interested I became, reading recently that the site and possibly the grave site are now threatened by coastal erosion I decided to set up a website and gather as much information as I could about the event to raise awareness and try and locate the origins and details of as many of the casualties and the survivors as I could. I am trying to write a book about the event and no I have never written anything more than a grocery list before so its a struggle. Not really computer literate either and a novice as far as on line research is concerned. So its a steep learning curve in every way but a fascinating and interesting journey learned a lot and it certainly keeps the brain ticking over.
Here is a link to the website maybe somebody from your family disappeared in 1853 and you have always wondered where they went to.
http://www.anniejane.net/

Thanks for reading

Regards Allan

Ps It took me years to notice, but its my birthday today I do wonder sometimes if that's why the memory went so deep into me, my subconscious noticing that before I did.

Good morning Allan :)

That's quite a story and quite a task you've set yourself. You've done an admirable job so far.

Have you posted this anywhere else? I can think of another place it might be worth posting to.

I hope you had a good birthday. It was one heck of a birthday present the passengers and crew passed to you! :)

Hi there

I have it posted on roots chat and it got featured in an Irish genealogy magazine two weeks ago. If you have suggestions to publicise the site I am open to any ideas.
A face book page has been suggested, not sure how to go about that as I have managed to avoid that site up to now.

Regards Allan

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well you will have to join FB to do one of those, I don't think the page is too difficult to set up, I think you're guided through it.

Amanda

Hi my name is Rachel Williams adopted at 2 weeks of age... I have connected with my birth mother using traditional genealogy and some detective work on my part and via DNA have found close relatives of my birth father.

My interest here is more for my adopted heritage... which is strongly Welsh and English.

I am Canadian and married with an adult son.

Like many folks my age I am addicted to genealogy :)

M findagrave profile: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=48289479

My Genealogy Blog: http://williams-thomas-doran.blogspot.ca/

Hello everyone :)

Rachel