• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Introduction

Phantom

Hi everyone. I live in New Zealand and most of my ancestors came here a long time ago. The Johnstones came from Shetland, the Masons and Rowsells from Somerset, the Gridgemans and Fentons from Cambridgeshire, the Larkins and Milgates from Sussex and the Carrans from the Isle of Man. I'm really looking forward to sharing information and hopefully knocking down some of my own brick walls. :)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Please have a look around the forums and then post your queries in the most appropriate ones and someone will try to answer them.

Good luck with your research.

Dave

Hello! I'm a disabled photographer living in Kent. Moved from USA to UK 28 years ago. I have 2 children - my daughter is a ballet dancer/teacher living in California and my son (works in software support) lives with me..he's just about to get married to an American girl.
My daughter recently came back to UK for her degree graduation ceremony in London and mentioned there is a statue of one of our ancestors in London...so we started digging and found it's not a statue but a family tomb (on my father's side) belonging to William Sedgewick Saunders who was Chief medical Officer for the City of London and was the person that body parts of the victims of Jack the Ripper were sent for autopsy!!
My cousin has done the fraternal side of the family tree so we started researching my maternal side. I have an old handwritten family tree of the Stafford family going back to Ralph Stafford which was mysteriously stopped when the geneaologist was paid a very large sum of money to stop doing the tree! My grandmother always said there was a usurper to the family lands and titles!! We are trying to establish the link to my great great grandmother Elizabeth Ellen Stafford with the Staffords in the handwritten family tree. I've hit a brick wall trying to find Elizabeth's father's parents and grandparents. Several of my cousins also have copies of the written family tree. Any help would be appreciated :)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Lynne,

I'd suggest you place a few specific queries on the appropriate boards. I'm sure some members here will try to help you.

Dave

Hello all - only just found this forum :)

I decided to make a start on finding about my family and its history about 15 years ago. My maiden name was Stockton and we were a London family and only a few of us in the London phone book when I was growing up. Moved to Nottingham when in my teens. Now retired from teaching and with family left home but living only a mile or so away from me. Plenty of time for volunteering - cricket club and rugby club to name 2 places where I volunteer. New Family History group with my local WI so trying to track down the wider family on both my line and my husband's. He's Nottingham born but his family come from Lincolnshire and Leicestershire as well as Nottinghamshire.

Let the fun begin!

Hi My names Amanda, Currently live in South Lanarkshire been here 9 years with My 3 sons who are 9, 18 and 21, not working at the moment my youngest son has an Autism diagnosis and i spend a lot of my time supporting and advocating for families who are part of a parent and carer group i helped start.

I have been researching my ancestors for about 6 or 7 years although not all the time and would consider myself still as a "newbie"

I should have said i grew up in the East end of Glasgow and know most of the areas around there quite well if anyone needs local knowlege i will try my best . :2fun::D

Looking forward to being part of what appears to be a lovely board with eagerness to help each other

Thanks Amanda

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Amanda and welcome to the Forum.

Please have a look around the forums and then post your queries in the most appropriate ones and someone will try to answer them.

Dave

Hi everyone,

I just registered and will no doubt post somewhere soon as I have an itch I can't scratch in the search for my grandmother's birth record! Hopefully a brainbox or 2 might just have some other ideas! :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx edited by moderator due to copyright regulations. so I'm happy to do look ups for anyone.

Happy New Year!

Pasci O0 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kath

Hi All,

I am from Liverpool. I am I suppose a retired nurse, now at home looking after 2 sons with brain injuries. My interests are family history, Dna and reading.

I get great satisfaction from my family tree and spend too much time with dead people :2fun:

I began searching for an adopted aunt about 40 yrs ago and still haven't found her. I did however discover another aunt I knew nothing about. Sadly it was too late to meet her, but I have had contact with one of her daughters.

My recent mothers day present from my daughter was a Dna kit. I find it fascinating but it hasn't knocked down any brick walls for me yet. :D

First thank you for welcoming me. I have been researching my family branches for more than 40 years so you see I still have this addictive hobby. I still have many brick walls but with a little digging in different directions I hope to knock a few down. :D

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Dave

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Hi ,I'm not a newbee I'm ADAMSONE60

I did send a message to Admin ,but not sure if he received it or had a chance to read it. Early Mar.my computer froze ,and i had to take it back to warehouse condition which was Windows 8 ,then reinstall Windows 10,this was done while my daughter was on the phone waiting to see if it was right, so I never got to save all my passwords ,including for this site. Also Miicrosoft informed me my email address was outdated, so that too was changed.

Ellie

Hi Everyone,
My name is Carmen, i am 58years of age and live in Somerset uk, I have just registered on the site, my interests include knitting, crochet, and family history, I have been researching my family history for about a year now, looking for my Hook family around Birmingham, kent, and London areas and have come up against brick walls , Iā€™m hoping to find some help here,

Carmen

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Welcome to the site Carmen, just add your questions to the correct forum and hopefully we will be able to help you.

Amanda