• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Irish ancestors?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I know it can be difficult to research Irish ancestors due to many 19th century census records not surviving, a lot of parish registers destroyed and civil reg not beginning until 1864, although 145 for Protestant marriages.

For those of you with Irish ancestors how have you found it when researching the? Difficult or easier than imagined?

astwood

My ancestors the joyces are vertualy impossible to trace all i know
is they were living in birmingham at the time of the 1841 census
thomas age 35 his wife ann age 40 all i know is that ann was born
in co mayo but as i cant find there marriage i have no surname
so its just a brickwall?
astwood:mad:

never got anywhere,if you dont have much info its very hard and if you dont know the county your bxxxxxxxxxd, and its quite expensive i wanted my father in laws birth cerif he was born belfast it was 20.oo quid.some good sites but again they all ask for the county, and a lot of the records destroyed in 1922.but all you can do is give it a go im a mere amateur compared to some of the guys on here so im sure they will keep you right.happy hunting sue.x

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've tried but given up for time being. The only ones I've got any detail of is because they were in army and their birth details etc are at Kew and my brother lives in London but still not easily searchable.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
A lot of Irish people in England in censuses give just Ireland as their country of birth and not the county whereas some pedantic people gave the parish and county.

If an Irishman or woman married in England after 1837 then it is easier but as said a lot of records have been destroyed.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I find it fascinating when people find they have Irish roots.
I can't really work out why. On the one hand, it's a genealogy nightmare for some, and on the other there seems to be deep sense of 'belonging'.

When Barrack Obama was found to have Irish roots, he was never out of the press for that reason.:)

I haven't as yet, found an Irish connection. But I would not be at all suprised though.:)

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well there you go, me and my big mouth. Just got my Gt.Grandparents 1867 marriage cert.

Married at St.Margarets Church, Dunham Massey, County of Chester.

Thomas Burgess, full age....Plasterer......Altrincham.....Father - Joseph Murry. Occ.Lab.
Mary Ann Graham......under age...... blank.....Altrincham......father - Joseph Graham. Occ. Lab

Just done a quick search for MURRY, and found a few hits and all Irish.:rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Steve.:)