• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Irish and Scottish ancestors.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think Scottish research is easier than Irish because of the survival rate of the records such as PR's and census records. I have got back to the early 1700s on a Scottish line from Selkirkshire. The parish registers go back to 1697.

Irish FH has become easier due to FMP records but they are still just a fraction of the records. I have no known Irish ancestors but I do have a direct ancestor who was in Ireland for many years during the army and his first wife was Irish. I think he was in Ireland in the 1851 census and pre 1901 Irish censuses dont survive, apart from a few fragments.

For instance if you descend from a Patrick Kelly born about 1820 in Ireland who came to England after the famine, you will be lucky to get both his parents names. Often they just gave Ireland as birthplace in the UK censuses.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
GLASGOW HERALD
18 NOVEMBER 1905

OBITUARY
AYRSHIRE LADY

The death is announced from Auchenharvie, Stevenston, in her 87th year, of Mrs HARRIETTE ROBERTSON CUNINGHAME of Auchenharvie, daughter of the late Patrick Agnew, younger of Kilwaghter Castle and Larne, County Antrim.

Ellie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Irish records have improved so much in the last few years, and are getting better.
Still a long way to go, so keep looking.

Go back 20 years or so, and any online records were almost as bad for the whole of the UK. Getting past the 1841 census today in the UK, still has it's problems.;)

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Irish research may be getting a bit easier but I think it will always remain one of the most difficult places to research ancestors due to many records destroyed in the 1922 fire. The 1841-1891 Irish censuses are all gone save for a few tiny fragments and civil reg begun in 1864 (1845 for Protestant marriages) and I think there are less surnames in Ireland meaning there are more instances of the same surname such as Walsh, Kelly, Sullivan, Murphy etc and Smith and Brown. And many PR's were burnt as well in the fire.