• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Irish roots

Adam

Hi, I am looking for help with my Irish ancesters. I am using ancestry and a few free sites but no luck.

The story passed down the generations in my family is as follows.
Thomas Shannon born in 1844 in the parish of Castlerae in the county of Roscommon. He came to Liverpool to look for his father John Shannon born about 1825, who had left the family some years earlier.
He found him running a shoe repair shop in Brownlow hill Liverpool, his father had set up a new family, his new wife was named Elizabeth and they had a son/stepson named John.
Thomas was 17 years old at the time, and he set about his father, it was then told their was a great hue and cry all over Brownlow hill. Thomas was caught and given the choice of facing the magistrate or taken the queens shilling (to serve in the army) which he did and was mustered at Liverpool on the 2/8/1861 to serve 22 years.
From this point on we have good records of my Gt grandfather Thomas Shannon. And the 1881 census for John Shannon But none from Ireland.

Hope you can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elwyn

A birth c 1844 is well before the start of statutory registration in Ireland (1864) so you would need to look up church records to try and find his baptism. I assume he was RC.

Castlerea(gh) isn’t a parish. It’s a town in the RC parish of Kilkeevin. The Kilkeevin parish baptism records start around 1804 and so you may be able to locate Thomas’s birth there. A copy of the records is held in the National Library in Dublin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/

They may also been on the Rootsirlend site (pay to view). (There’s no exact match but there is a Thomas born 1838 to John Shannon in Co Roscommon).

romany rose

Valued Member
Hello Adam-this is your John Shannon and wife
following the info on the 1881 that you gave in your post ,I found them living at Banastre St Liverpool
RG10-Piece3768-Pg21
Shannon John........h.....46......1825........shoemaker.....b Roscommon,Ireland
Shannon Elizabeth..w.....43......1828..........................b Dublin,Ireland
Sherlock John........serv..40......1831......shoemaker.......b...Ireland

Piece 2906 -folio 97- page40
@39 Banastre St Liverpool
they are in the house of Joseph Gardener and his family,Joseph born 1847,Dublin he is a tailor
John Shannon is listed has the above`s stepfather

Shannon John....st/father...67..1825....dock/lab....b Roscommon Ireland
Shannon Elizabeth...w........60............................b Dublin Ireland

hope this helps a little bit
Romany Rose x

Adam

Hi Romany
Thanks for the look up, I have the information you have posted. I have a lot of information on the Shannon side of the family, Army records, photographs, B.M.D certificates, and stories passed down the family. But none on Ireland, only that he came from Rosscommon area.
My cousin who also researchs the family tree, he called in the genealogy centre in Rosscommon, and asked about the Shannon's, he was told more than half the parish records have been lost in the Rosscommon area, and he may have more luck searching in the records held in Dublin.
It seems most people in that area have been named after the river Shannon,
Which makes it more difficult to research.

Adam