• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Is everyone as stuck as me?? could do with a little help please

Hi
I'm struggling in finding the Death of Oswald Wilson, born 1887 in Lincoln Father John Wilson and Mother Maria Webb. Oswald Married Mary Cronan in 1908 in Chesterfield and they had 6 children Nora, Horace,Frank,Tommy,Ada and Helen. I know he was still alive in 1931 because he was present at his sons wedding in Chesterfield and that he was a miner at this time but I can't find his death certificate. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.

Cheers Marie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Marie,

Oswald could have lived to a ripe old age, so if you dont mind waiting I'll have a look through the death index have got to the end of 1933, but I need to finish something (the windows).

Hi Marie,

Oswald could have lived to a ripe old age, so if you dont mind waiting I'll have a look through the death index have got to the end of 1933, but I need to finish something (the windows).
Hi
No don't mind waiting at all and I'm very grateful that your looking at some point. like I mentioned above Oswald was showing alive in 1931 as a miner but my mum was born in 1954 and till 1965 she new her Great Grandma Mary Cronan but her husband Oswald wasn't around during this period of time so did he die between 1931 and 1954? I did try checking the war records but couldn't find anything there too, wonder wether he married again or if there is any divorce records? Oswald Wilson has really got me stuck? Is there any Miner records that I can check?

Cheers Marie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Marie,

Found this death

Year 1941

Oswald Wilson
Age 54
Oct/Nov/Dec 1/4
District Prescott
Vol 8b
Page 793

Whether its him, as being the war years he may have been sent to another mine.

I've got to the end of 1954 will still plod on.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found this one as well

Year 1959

Oswald Wilson
Age 71
Jan/Feb/Mar 1/4
District Northampton
Vol 3b
Page 747

Have gone up to the end of 1964 will call it a night.

Not sure about mining records, but he would have belonged to a union so have put a link below 'Union Ancestors' hope its of help.

http://www.unionancestors.co.uk/

Last edited:
Hi Marie,

Found this death

Year 1941

Oswald Wilson
Age 54
Oct/Nov/Dec 1/4
District Prescott
Vol 8b
Page 793

Hi, It could be him, it's just the Prescott area I can't understand? Oswald was catholic so do you think I should try the parish records too?
Doesn't it bug you when you can't find info straight away but I suppose thats what makes it a bit exciting not knowing but at the same time very frustrating? lol What are the Divorce records like? are they accurate? Surley he wouldn't leave six kids in mid 19th century for another women?
Trying to trace a cousin to see if they any info on him but like I said my mum knew her great grandma Mary - Oswalds wife very well till 1965 but mentions she can't remember Oswald being around,mentioned or pictures being up?
Thanks again your brill !!!

Hi Marie,

Found this death

Year 1941

Oswald Wilson
Age 54
Oct/Nov/Dec 1/4
District Prescott
Vol 8b
Page 793

Hi, It could be him, it's just the Prescott area I can't understand? Oswald was catholic so do you think I should try the parish records too?
Doesn't it bug you when you can't find info straight away but I suppose thats what makes it a bit exciting not knowing but at the same time very frustrating? lol What are the Divorce records like? are they accurate? Surley he wouldn't leave six kids in mid 19th century for another women?
Trying to trace a cousin to see if they any info on him but like I said my mum knew her great grandma Mary - Oswalds wife very well till 1965 but mentions she can't remember Oswald being around,mentioned or pictures being up?
Thanks again your brill !!!