• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Is he likely to be the same person?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
How likely are these to be the same person. Mordick Robinson born abt 1791 ( as per 1841 census pob Penzance) He dies in 1847 name on death certificate Murdoch Robertson (same person) daughter Jane has the middle name Ennis, also grandchild carry the name Murdoch.

On Ancestry he has been linked to being Mordoch Roberston born abt 1782 Cromarty Parents William Roberston and Jean Innes. A second cousin found a faded note made by her later mother about her maternal grandparents, didn’t say much just said Miss Sincock/Robinson Edinburgh or roughly about that. If I have the right family these would be her grandparents both born Penzance, making her gt grandfather born Scotland. What dosnt help the situation is my gt grans birth certificate has Henry as father whereas her mother Amelia Jones Sincock married Thomas Robinson son of Mordick/Murdoch.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Julie

Have you got the marriage of Mordick Robinson to Alice Parsons in 1816 in Madron, Cornwall?

There was a Murdo Robertson baptised in December 1782 to James and Elizabeth Robertson formely McDonald at Urray, Ross and Cromiarty alongside the one born to William and Jane Robertson in July 1782.

Its a pity that he died 4 years before 1851 as that census may have been more accurate about his birthplace. I know people who have said they were born in county in 1841 when they weren't.

It is a possibility that Mordick/Murdoch came from Scotland originally. I see in 1841 he was a mariner. If so, he may have travelled from Scotland on the sea, ending up in Cornwall.

Ben

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
How likely are these to be the same person. Mordick Robinson born abt 1791 ( as per 1841 census pob Penzance) He dies in 1847 name on death certificate Murdoch Robertson (same person) daughter Jane has the middle name Ennis, also grandchild carry the name Murdoch.

On Ancestry he has been linked to being Mordoch Roberston born abt 1782 Cromarty Parents William Roberston and Jean Innes. A second cousin found a faded note made by her later mother about her maternal grandparents, didn’t say much just said Miss Sincock/Robinson Edinburgh or roughly about that. If I have the right family these would be her grandparents both born Penzance, making her gt grandfather born Scotland. What dosnt help the situation is my gt grans birth certificate has Henry as father whereas her mother Amelia Jones Sincock married Thomas Robinson son of Mordick/Murdoch.

Hi Julie

I would have thought it unlikely that it is the same person, as Penzance is in cornwall and Cromarty is in the Scotish Highlands,

Gwen :)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,

Just re read the old email and it says, She describes them as - a Mr.Robinson,born in Edinburgh and a Miss Sincock,born in Penzance.Their children,born in Greenwich were Amelia,William,Emily,Helen,Joseph,Esther and Frances. She is desribing her grandparents as said before both Amelia and Thomas where born Penzance. I havnt any paper work for Mordick/Murdoch and Alices marriage this was an extration on the IGI, her parents being Robert Parsons and Elizabeth Bennets, also there is another child born to this couple on the Cornwall OPC.

What has thrown me is Edinburgh also his age, but if he used Mordick then his age isnt probaly that accurate. As to the parents his daughter is names Jane Ennis Robinson. The nearest marriage I could find on Scotlandspeople was a Jane Innes to a John Robinson in Paisley, even the marriage for William and Jane isnt showing.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Julie,
If it looks like eggs, and smells like eggs. Then it must be eggs, albeit a little scrambled.
All too close not to be the same person. Own him, but a little bit more info would not hurt.

Steve.:)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Gwen and Steve for your replies.

He isnt showing on the Cornwall OPC, perhaps waiting to be transcribed.
Murdoch in Scotland does mean seaman, so perhaps there is a Scottish Element.

Thanks again.

:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Julie

He does seem to be a likely candidate. Searching for further evidence would be a good idea. Have you tried searching for any other Robertsons or Robinsons in the area where Murdoch lived? They could be relations.

It might be a good idea to research William and Jeans other children to see if they lived near Murdoch or also became mariners.

Ben

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,

I have looked for Robinsons/Robertsons but havnt found anything as of yet, though he had an older son William who I havnt noticed before so perhaps he was named after his grandfather. On the marriage transcription for William Murdoch occ is a sailor wasnt sure before if he was exaggerating and might have been a fisherman. According to the newpaper report when he died he was the lighthouse keeper at Penzance, he took one step to many on the Quay fell and fractrured his skull.

Whether there are any mariner records for that time, I'll try the archives at Cornwall, they're quite helpful.

:)

Hi Julie,

I've just come across this thread by chance. I am also researching Mordick Robinson/Murdoch Robertson, as he was my 4th great grandfather - I am a descendent of his son, Thomas Robinson, and Amelia Jones Sincock - sounds like the same branch of the family, and from what you say my Mum & I may have a fair bit of information about the Robinsons which we could share with you.
I've recently decided that Mordick Robinson must be the same person as Murdoch Robertson born in Cromarty, Scotland... both from the death record name, as you mention, the lack of any matching birth records in Cornwall, and his daughter's name, Jane Ennis Robinson, which I have found evidence of on her marriage record to James Whitfield.

It would be great to be in touch and share information - this is complicated family to research! I'm also very interested in your record that Thomas Robinson was born in Edinburgh, we have Cornwall?!

Best wishes,

Daisy

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Daisy,

I'm surprised that someone has picked this up and its nice to hear from you. I'm descended from Thomas and a Amelia through their daughter my gt gran Emily Cubbage/Cubbidge nee Robinson. The note that my gt late aunt made was of her grandparents a Miss Sincock and Robinson Edinburgh. I cant find the original email with the information from my 2nd cousin, but we do know that Thomas was born in Penzance, somewhere along the line my gt aunt probaly got her information mixed up.

Last edited:
Hi Julie,

Good to hear from you and what an amazing photograph! My Mum and I are descended through Emily's brother, Joseph Robinson, who married Maria Ashford, and had Marie Grace Robinson, my great grandmother. We have a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk if you would like to see it? Send us your email address if so, and I'll send you an invite
EMAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN EDITED DUE TO SECURITY REASONS

We'd love to put the photo of Amelia up on our tree if that's OK with you? We don't have any other photos of the Sincocks or Robinsons as yet (other than Marie Grace's children) but would love to find out more about Emily and her family.

Best wishes,

Daisy :)

Hi Daisy,
Your first 3 posts will be moderated and after that you will have access to the PM [private message] system in which you will then be able to swap contact information if you wish to do so via PM.

gibbo

Last edited by a moderator:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Daisy nice to hear from you.

Its ok for you to use the picture on Ancestry. Whether it is a picture of Amelia, I've assumed it is and someone has written on it Robinson, it's a copy given to me by another distant rellie.

Have got your email.