• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Is someone up for a challenge??

Hi folks,

Please bear with me as this is my first post on this forum and I'm not sure if I'm in the right place!

Ok, here goes if someone can conquer this I will eat my hat!:)

I have John Thomas Webb b.1847 or 1857 (this is another query!!) in Great Bolton, Lancashire. He is married to Elizabeth Lawrenson and they lived with the in-laws in Preston see RG11 pice 4232 fol 73 p.38. The date of birth is a query because on this census his birth year works out at 1847 but I found his Navy records on the National Archives and it stated he was born in Grt Bolton in 1857! I have only managed to find John T Webb in this 1881 census before that he just disappears!

I am trying to go back a generation and find John Thomas's parents but I have hit a brick wall, in fact, it's more of a mountain! Other people on another forum have tried to help but no joy, I just find bits of info on him. There is no marriage for John and Eliz Webb either, so that's another mystery. I have his eldest child's birth cert - Margaret Webb and everything seems correct on that, also got the b/cert for his son John Thomas Lawrenson Webb, again all ok on that one too.

Can anyone help me go back another generation and find his parents, where was he as a child? I know he died 1890 in Salwick, Preston which is where he worked as a Railway Signalman.

I can't visit Kew to search through the Navy records or Railway records. I am a carer for an elderly person who depends on me for everything.

Please help someone, I just despair.:(

Thanks in advance,
Elaine.