• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Is Staff St, Islington, Greater London EC1 on a Hill?

somerstown

Valued Member
Long shot here, but I have a photo with "Staff Hill" written on the back. The date is 1946 and the person concerned was in London for much of his life. I have not been able to identify Staff Hill, but wondered if "Staff St, Islington, Greater London EC1", near Old Street station, is on a hill and might be referred to as such?

somerstown

Valued Member
'Photo attached, Harold William Arber born London 1902 died London 1954. Back of 'photo has "Staff Hill" and 1946 on it. Uniform is American Red Cross Field Director.
Hope the attachment works!

Attachments

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.redcross.org/museum/history/WW2Canteens.asp

Hi Somerstown...great link this which i enjoyed reading.
Wasnt your Arber a bus driver?...in which case almost certainly drived these buses for the canteens etc.
There is a contact on the web page and maybe drop them a line....all though probably not being able to give you info on your Arber you may get an answer to Staff Hill my gut feeling is that Staff Hill was a place these canteens visited and not a base.......
Well done on posting the pic and like Carol i love to see old photos.....and its a cracker.

Lee.

somerstown

Valued Member
Thanks for the link Lee. I will have a read through.
Don't know what he did in the ARC. The Imperial War Museum showed me some books with "Doughnut Dugouts" run by the ARC in London, a sort of mobile canteen.
Pre Second World War he was in the Merchant Navy. After 1946 he had a car hire business then for the last couple of years of his life he was a Motor Mail Van Driver for the GPO.