• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Isabella DOWEY/DOWNEY

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
NSW Marriage 491/1858 ROOK JAMES - DOWEY ISABELLA - SYDNEY * 21 Jun 1858

NSW Death 13117/1912 ROOK ISABELLA (DOWNEY) 75 YRS REDFERN REDFERN * 24 Jul 1912

The Sydney Morning Herald - Thu 25 Jul 1912 p.8
DEATHS
ROOK.-On July 24, at Redfern, Isabella, relict of the late James Rook, of Bristol, England, in her 76th year.

That's all I have for Isabella.

Isabella Downey
1836–1912
BIRTH JULY 1836 • Magheralinn, Armagh and Down, Ireland
DEATH 24 JULY 1912 • Redfern, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Daily Telegraph – 25 July 1912
On 24 July at Redfern, Isabella, relict of the late James Rook of Bristol England in her 79th year – presume James was from Bristol???

James Rook baptised 10 March 1833 St James’s Church Bristol Gloucester to John & Mary Rook – he died 24 May 1877 buried Rookwood Old Church Cemetery section J row 25 age 45

Thanks Val.

If the correct baptism for James then father as James on death reg is an error.

Last edited:
Name: Isabella Downey[Isabel Downey]
Baptism Age: 0Event Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 1836
Baptism Date: 3 Jul 1836
Baptism Place: Magheralinn, Armagh and Down, Ireland
Residence Place: Dr?MParish Variants: Aughalee, Kilwarlin, Magheralin, Magheralin, Kilwarlin and Aughalee, Magheralinn, Moira and Aughalee, Moira
Diocese: Dromore
Father: James Downey
Mother: Sarah Brown

Thanks Ellie.

Magheralin is a village and civil parish in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is on the main A3 road between Moira and Lurgan, beside the River Lagan.

James Rook
1832–1877
BIRTH ABT 1832 • Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
DEATH 24 MAY 1877 • Albion St, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Father -John Rook ,Mother Mary

Thanks Ellie.

My family from
County Down - Townland: Ballynahinch/Ballinahinch - Civil Parish: Magheradrool - Poor Law Union/Civil Reg Dist: Downpatrick

James Rook
1832–1877
BIRTH ABT 1832 • Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
DEATH 24 MAY 1877 • Albion St, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Father -John Rook ,Mother Mary

HI came across this thread while I was searching James Rook (from Australia). I puchased the wedding certificate - interesting. James's Mothers name is quoted as Maria Mitchell. James' daughter Oliva Maria Rook bears his mothers name.....Unless she went by Mary Maria, I'm not sure. James is quoted as being a Mariner.

Isabella's father is Robert and her mother Alice?

Attachments

• 150142-NSW-MARRIAGE-1858-491.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 4
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the certificate which I didn't have.

They are not buried in the same section of Rookwood.

A mariner becomes a draper.

He was also a member of the Temperance society. The Rose of Australia Division 2.

I can’t find Maria listed as a mother in Bristol for birth.

like the thread says… stumped by parentage! But it seems he came to Aus in about 1857 or so.

?
Maria Mitchell
Christening 18 August 1799
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England
Parents Thos Mitchell, Hannah

There is a Maria and James rook in 1841 Sensis but no son James listed in Lancaster.

Isabella’s parentage doesn’t for with earlier thread either.
I am going to purchase a birth certificate for their first son William 1859 and see what it says. Birth cert for Thomas rook gives Bristol as James birth origin too.

Back