• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Isabella Stewart (nee Coutts)

Roots

From
Canada
Hello,

I need help finding the parents and grandparents, any family, of my g-g-grandmother, Isabella Stewart (Coutts). She was 43 in the 1901 census and married to David Stewart. I believe her maiden name was Coutts. I don't know where she was born in Scotland.

Hi Roots,

The only one on the 1901 Scottish census was born Benkolin, Kincardineshire. I have looked on the 1861 census and found this one.

Civil parish Banchory Ternan
Kincardineshire

Address Kilduthie

Agnes Coutts age 23 head born Banchory
Robert son age 2 born Kirkwall, Orkney
Isbella dau age 1 born Banchory, Kincardineshire

Have you Isabellas marriage certificate, if all is in order should have the fathers name and occupation.

By 1871 Agnes Coutts is married to a Alexr Thomson and Isabella and Robert are down as step children plus there are other children from this marriage. Would you like the details if you think this is the right family.

Yep, I'm sure that's the right family! I don't have her marraige certificate though. I wonder why her father's not on the census too. I'd love the details.

Could you please go one further back and find out who Agnes' parents were, as well?

Hi Roots,

Civil parish Durris
County Kincardineshire

Address Upper Balfour

Alexr Thomson head age 40 occ farm servant born Kin Oneil, Aberdeenshire
Agnes wife age 31 born Banchory Ternan, Kincardineshire
Robert Coutts stepson age 11 born Kirkwall
Isabella Coutts stepdaughter age 9 born Banchory Ternan
Mary Thomson dau age 7 born Banchory Ternan
William Thomson son age 5 born Banchory Ternan
James Thomson son age 3 born Strachan, Kincardineshire
George Thomson son age 1 born Durris, Kincardineshire

Roots, this is from the transcription only as I havnt access to the census image and cannot check for errors. You will need to go on to the Scotlandspeople site to find the marriage and birth details, which is free to search but you will need to buy credits to view the records.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Whoops. Found out the hard way that this isn't her! For now, she's a dead end. I found out some things about her husband's family though.

Back