• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Isle of Man research

winnarae

Hello,
My name is Linda and I have been reserching my family from IOM.The names are Quayle,Quirk and Watson.I have had some luck,but now am at a road block.Hoping this site might help me out.

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi Linda welcome to the FHUK forums,
our members are a friendly bunch and are only to willing to help you with your cross roads and will give you the right directions.
All you need to do is post your questions with as much relevant information as you do have, on the apropriate forum and we will see if we can find those answers. If you can help others on the forum that would be welcome also:)
Again welcome and we wish you success in your research and enjoy the forums on FHUK. best regards stericoO0 helpusall

Hello Linda, If you haven't already done so, I'd strongly suggest that you join the Isle of Man, Family History Society.
Quayle is a popular name in research over here and is one of the key surnames on the island and Quirk is reasonably popular too.

See below for further details.
http://www.iomfhs.im/

ps, you may also wish to add your details onto this site
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/
which is the internet version of the paper on the island. Look up Guestbook

As mentioned before, Quayle is very popular and fairly recently, I bought two books from the Isle of Man Family History Society.
Burial Register Book 1. 1665-1865 and Book 2. 1866-1979 for the Kirk German Parish.
I noted that Book 1 had 148 names with burial dates either Quayle or was married etc to a Quayle. There was also many surnames with a slightly different spelling and over here, it was quite common for names to get mixed up.
Quay, Quane, Quaile, Quail

Book 2 had at least 200 names with burial dates.
Typical example for Quayle:
Edward Thomas, Peel, 20 years, 24Jan1886

Best wishes, Paul

reference the above books, book 2 had over 240 Quirk's and also roughly the same in book 1

typical entry for Quirk:
Elizabeth, Peel, 67 years, 15Apr1858
John, son of Robt, Lambfield, 5mth, 31Dec1841

I also have the Andreas Parish Burial Register, but there's not the same amount there. As mentioned before, I'd join the IOM FHS, as there will undoubtedly be members whom share the same interest and some who will probably have lots of research material.

Hope this is useful
best wishes, Paul

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Linda

My husband has Isle of Man ancestors, his ggg grandmother was Mary Ann QUAYLE c1810 Ballaugh, Mary married James LAWSON. Mary's parents are John QUAYLE & Joney BREW.
John QUAYLE c1776 Jurby, his parents are William QUAYLE & Esther CHRISTIAN.

Any relations to your QUAYLE line. Have a couple of non direct line QUIRK names which are connected also to the LAWSON name.

cheers
crankypants