• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

It hasn't helped

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
I recently bought the marriage cert of my g. grandmother in the hope it would help me find the names of her parents. The fathers name is on cert as John Weatherall, Ann (g.grandmother) was born 1867? says on cert she married in 1887 aged 20yrs. I have been trying to find her on 1871 census, but have been unsucessful. They came from Witton -le wear according to my mother, so I have just been looking at Co Durham. Can anyone tell me why I can't find her?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Julie,

Theres nothing that stands out on the 1871 census. I see in 1881 she is listed as niece with the Neasham family.

This could be a re herring but there is a Ann Neasham born abt 1867 listed as g/dau born (transcribed as Torish Hill) with a Neasham family in the civil parish of Rainton.

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
sorry been a while (had problems accessing site) Names of witnesses are John Weatherall (father?) and Sarah Weatherall. I now think I have found family on 1881 census , as it says on cert that father was a joiner.Which is what it says on census, I do think that was Ann on the census as a niece of the Neashams.
The name on census is down as Weatherell, and I was looking for Wetherall which is whats on cert.

Julie,

You've probably already realised that spelling issues or name issues will crop up in all forms of documentation. My own grandfather's marriage certificate says his father was Rupert, but in fact I knew it should have read Robert. To confuse matters more, Robert was sometimes known as William Robert.

The census and its index's are littered with spelling mistakes, its always best to try variations in order to narrow the field. The same goes for Marriage, birth and death certificates. The spellings are only as good as those recording the information and sometimes those giving the information could not read or write so would have been unaware if the spelling was correct.

Have you now been able to locate anything on the 1871 census

Last edited:
sorry been a while (had problems accessing site) Names of witnesses are John Weatherall (father?) and Sarah Weatherall. I now think I have found family on 1881 census , as it says on cert that father was a joiner.Which is what it says on census, I do think that was Ann on the census as a niece of the Neashams.
The name on census is down as Weatherell, and I was looking for Wetherall which is whats on cert.
Hi,

Perhaps John was her father and Sarah her mother, with a name like Weatherall I would look at all possible spelling as well, (but I guess you have learnt the hard way, ho hum)

If someone couldnt read then they couldnt say if it was spelled wrong could they?

So have you now found John/Sarah on the 1871? cens? or 1881?

~~~~~ to Poy :D

Julie,

No wonder you haven't been able to find them on the 1871 census. I've found them and the handwriting on the census folio is very poor.

The index has the family down as "WEARTURCH"

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4934; Folio: 115; Page: 40; GSU roll: 848020.

Address: This is very bad hand writing. It looks like Beechburn Mill? Newton Cap, Durham. This is within Registration district: Auckland
Sub registration district: Bishop Auckland

Recorded as follows:

John Wearturch Aged 37 Head Married Joiner Born Gar(i)nford Yorkshire
Jane Wearturch Aged 32 Wife Married Born Walshingham Yorkshire
Ann Wearturch Aged 5 Daug UnM Born Witton Le Wear Yorkshire
Sarah Wearturch Aged 3 Daug UnM Born Witton Le Wear Yorkshire
Jane Wearturch Aged 2 Daug UnM Born Witton Le Wear
Yorkshire
John N Wearturch Aged 5 Mths Son UnM Born Newton Cap Yorkshire

The actual county given is done so via a Ditto carried down half way up the page from a birth place of another family. As I'm not familiar with the area, I'm sure that the county is recorded incorrectly due to another mention of Newton Cap on the page as being in Durham. I'm sure someone from around the area can confirm this. John and Jane's birth places are so difficult to read, these are my own transcriptions.

Any transcriptions in this post are Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Julie,

No wonder you haven't been able to find them on the 1871 census. I've found them and the handwriting on the census folio is very poor.

The index has the family down as "WEARTURCH"

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4934; Folio: 115; Page: 40; GSU roll: 848020.

Address: This is very bad hand writing. It looks like Beechburn Mill? Newton Cap, Durham. This is within Registration district: Auckland
Sub registration district: Bishop Auckland

Recorded as follows:

John Wearturch Aged 37 Head Married Joiner Born Gar(i)nford Yorkshire
Jane Wearturch Aged 32 Wife Married Born Walshingham Yorkshire
Ann Wearturch Aged 5 Daug UnM Born Witton Le Wear Yorkshire
Sarah Wearturch Aged 3 Daug UnM Born Witton Le Wear Yorkshire
Jane Wearturch Aged 2 Daug UnM Born Witton Le Wear
Yorkshire
John N Wearturch Aged 5 Mths Son UnM Born Newton Cap Yorkshire

The actual county given is done so via a Ditto carried down half way up the page from a birth place of another family. As I'm not familiar with the area, I'm sure that the county is recorded incorrectly due to another mention of Newton Cap on the page as being in Durham. I'm sure someone from around the area can confirm this. John and Jane's birth places are so difficult to read, these are my own transcriptions.

Any transcriptions in this post are Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Thanks so much, I definately wouldn't have found them.