• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

It is 6 years since I became a genealogy addict.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

It was in February 2004 that I became hooked on genealogy.

From family stories I was told of Suffolk, Durham and Essex ancestry. I knew my gran was born in 1920 in Auckland, Durham and her father wqas from the same area.

I always wished for London ancestors though.

Mum told me that her 1920 born mums parents George Musgrave and Catherine actually met in London during the First World War. I had found the FRC the day before and took an interest and I took her there the next day and she told me. Her nan Catherine had died in about 1932. We looked up my nans birth in 1920 in Auckland district in 1920 and her mothers maiden name was Coombs.

We found a Catherine I Musgrave death aged 40 in Auckland district in 1930. We were now looking for a Catherine I Coombs birth about 1889=1890 possibly in London. I was so excited at the prospect of a London ancestor.

We found a Catherine Isabella Coombs birth in the Dec Quarter 1889 in Islington, London. Wow. We searched for a Geo Musgrave wedding to Catherine Coombs but didnt realise that she had been married before as we found a George Musgrave marriage in 1919 to Catherine I Hart in Auckland district.

We then found a Catherine I Coombs marriage in 1914 in Pancras district of London to a George S Hart. I then recieved the 1919 marriage cert and it said her fathers name was William Thomas Coombs a printer and she was a widow. I then found that her fathers side was from several generations of Londoners and her mum was of Sussex and Kent descent.

The rest is history.

Ben