• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Italian grandparents

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Claire

I couldnt find a marriage for Nicolo in the FreeBMD indexes so they must have married in Italy but could the following entry be that of a child who died in infancy?

Antonio Dominick Canino born abt 1903 Died June Quarter of 1903 Leicester Leicestershire ref 7a 105

Ben

Hi Ben

I am amazed that you have found a child called Canino born in leicester I feel sure he his a family member

Thank you for the links I shall have A good look if I find any thing I shall let you know
Thanks again Clare

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Clare

Canino is not a very known surname so it should be easy to trace them. Have you tried the free search feature of the 1911 census?

Ben

Hi Ben
Yes I have tried 1911 free search and have found nothing
I have also looked on ancestry.com Free bdm and find my past.com and have found nothing I have also tried the sips lists but nothing i have tried to find incoming imigrants to uk from italy but cant find a anything

thank you clare

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Theres this birth as well.

Maria A Canino
Apr/May/Jun 1/4
District Melton Mowbray

Mothers maiden name Coletta

Two more for Melton Mowbray

Adeline Mary Canino
Jul/Aug/Sept 1/4
District Melton Mowbray

Agnes Palu* A Canino
Apr/May/Jun 1/4
District Melton Mowbray

Mothers maiden name wasnt entered onto the birth index until the Jul/Aug/Sept 1/4 1911

Hi Julie

Adeline Canino was my grandmother

is it strange that maiden name not entered untill 1911

I have been told that Agnes Canino died in 1922 in Nazereth house
nottingham were my mother believes the three girls were sent
after ther father Nicolo died and Dominika remarried i have not seen any evidence of this,

When Dominika remarried she called her self Minnie Canine I found this on freebdm

thank you clare

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Is this Adeline's marriage?

Canino Adeline M in Braintree District 4a 2538 Sep Quarter 1929 Spouses surname Baxter

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Despite maiden names of legitimate children being entered on the certs from 1837 onwards, the actual BMD indexes didnt start showing the maiden name until 1911.

Ben