• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Jacob Aaron Moore.

Hi Steve,

Have you looked at the 1871 census? Jacob Moore born abt 21 Chatham Kent, solider at Wellington Barracks, Elton, Lancashire.

Yes, I saw that a couple of weeks ago. But now I know he was a soldier at the time, and not a Joiner, I will investigate a bit further.

Many thanks, Julie.

PS. Just spoke to my sister, and she is sure that they were Quakers. Hmmmmm?

Steve.:)

Hi Sir, sorry I mean Steve,

Thought the marriage certificate would make things easier :eek:.

Hopefully the Quaker records will throw up something.

Hi Julie, I think my can of worms is about to spill.

Have checked the 1851 census for Chatham, which I think is where you got William 8 months.

There seems to be a lot of Moore's, but no Jacob(1851).
Now comes the stretch. Could he not have been born yet, but was about to be at the time of the census.

For some reason, I can't find the same location in the 1861 census. If I could, and he's there, he should be 10-11yrs old.

Could you please have a look for me.

Quaker records, where.??

Thanks, Lord Steve.:biggrin:

The only other Jacob Moore I could find occ joiner born abt 1847 is in the Metropolitan Asylum in Surrey, but he is still there in 1901 under Jacob Thomas Moore, so thats rules him out.

Oh well, Quaker connection did not work out, must have 'practiced' on the quiet. (no pun intended)
From soldier to joiner, is still baffling me. Did he come out of the army and move to Salford ?
Cannot find any army records either.
Perhaps as a joiner he made his own coffin and buried himself.:)

Where is the old s*d. Usually when I curse someone they turn up.

There is a birth for a Jacob Moore 1878 district Salford, death 1879 born abt 1879 district Salford, so if he is a child of Jane and Jacobs, Jacob was still around 1877/1878.

Hi Julie,

Now have birth and death certs for Jacob Moore b.1878 - d.1879.

Birth. 17/9/1878.
Father - Jacob Aaron Moore. occ. Joiner.
Mother - Jane Elizabeth Moore,(Williams) birth informant.

Death.15/3/1879.
Father - Jacob Moore. occ. Joiner.
Mother - Jane Moore. death informant.

Same address on both certs.

I cannot make out the cause of death -?? 'Maxalnius' ?? - ?? 'masalmus' ??. Not that it really matters.
------------------------------------------
Hi Benny,

Also have a birth cert for Jacob Thomas Moore.
b.17/4/1847
Portsea Island Union.
Sub.reg. Landport and Southsea.
Radnor Street, Southsea.

Father - Jacob Moore. occ. painter.
Mother - Maria Moore. formerly, Maria O'Brien.

Hi Steve

It looks like Jacob got committed in about 1880 then if the one in 1881 in Caterham is the right one, which I am sure it is. Checking their records will confirm this.

Ben

Hi Steve

It looks like Jacob got committed in about 1880 then if the one in 1881 in Caterham is the right one, which I am sure it is. Checking their records will confirm this.

Ben

Ben,

Would you believe that the records for this asylum have not survived.:mad:

There are some general admin papers, but not much else.:rolleyes:

Have contacted The Welcome Trust, and hope that they might help.:)

I did notice on the 1901 entry for him, as to marital status. It was unknown, but was crossed out and an 'M' for married inserted.
So I ask myself, how did they find out his marital staus. My conclusion to that question is maybe a relative visited (the wife). And so put the record straight. Or is that wishful thinking.:)

Last edited:
On the 1881 and 1891 census his marital status is listed as 'unknown'.
On the 1901 census he is listed as unknown, and then it has been crossed through and an 'M' for married inserted.

Why would that happen.

If he has been 'unknown' for nearly 20yrs, what could have happened for it to be altered.
Also his 'status' changed from Lunatic to Imbecile.
Would that mean he was not a threat to himself and others.?
Or has he just become institutionalised.?

Died in 1908, Godstone, Surrey. A couple of miles from Caterham. Death cert ordered.

Last edited:
Hi Steve

The death cert should help. Census records can be ambiguous and if Jacob was in a mental state he probably didnt know his left from his right. If he gave NK as his birthplace yet I have found that it was Hampshire, and if he thought his middle name was Aaron instead of Thomas, then he was probably very mixed up.

Ben

Hi Steve

The death cert should help. Census records can be ambiguous and if Jacob was in a mental state he probably didnt know his left from his right. If he gave NK as his birthplace yet I have found that it was Hampshire, and if he thought his middle name was Aaron instead of Thomas, then he was probably very mixed up.

Ben

Hi Ben,
I was thinking more of his marital status than his birthplace. Why should it change after 20yrs.? And be altered in 1901.

Hi Steve

If he was an imbecile then he probably dodnt know whether her was married or not. He may have lived totally in the past.

Ben

Back