• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James Burke in the Navy.

Hello my Great Grandfather was James Burke born 2nd Feb 1851 Coventry died 25th Aug 1901 North Melbourne Victoria. He joined the Navy on the 25th June at the age of 15 HMS Donegal as a Boy 2nd Class for continuous service engagement of 10 years from the age of 18 years his Navy record is 37328A He was on the HMS Lord Warden when he married Lucy Dyke on the 24th Oct 1870. The last record I have for the Navy he was on the HMS Rosario ending on the 6th Aug 1873. In 1871 Lucy is with her Parents at 21 Hill st Coventry as Lucy Dyke but she is crossed out. I cannot find James in the 1871 Census or how he and Lucy immigrated to Australia. There first child Arthur Edmund Burke was born 16th May 1877 at Redfern N.S.W. I would love to know how they got to Australia. Thanks Take Care Lynette :)

horse

Loyal Member
I don't know if this is a bit too early...

New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922
James Burke
Port of Departure: Melbourne
Port of Arrival: Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date: 31 Dec 1873
Vessel Name: Alexandra
[He is travelling with a Mrs Burke, no initial]

Geoff

Hello Horse I had not seen that record before but we would have to get him from England to Melbourne. I will have a look and see what I can find. On Arthurs birth his Occupation is Railway Carriage Cleaner but for some reason it was not registered until 2 months later. On the births after that his Occupation is Fireman and Engineer. Thank you Take Care Lynette :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solidrock2 Genealogy General Help 8
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 0
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 2
DaveHam9 1891 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 8