• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James Cook 1846 missing birth

tiddy30

Hi all i have been tracing my cook line for some time now and seem to have hit a big brick wall,I am looking for james cook born 1846 in scarbrough,yorkshire.James is listed on the 1851 census as living with his aunt and 2 cousins 1 of which is also called james but born 1845.I have tried to find james 1846 for a long time but to no avail :( If anyone can help track down who his parents were i would be most greatful as this wall is a huge one to get round :mad:.
In the 1851 census james is listed as living at 36, William Street, Scarborough.

Last edited:
Hi Angela
Nothing definite I'm afraid.

In 1841 there is a John 31 and Mary 27, with Francis 18 Months. Next door is an Elizabeth 26 and Jane 16, all born in Yorkshire.

1851 Mary aged 37, is this the same Mary?

Bmd has two James born Scrborough - between 1838 and 1850

James Cook Sep qtr 1844 ref 24 515
James Cooke Sep qtr 1845 ref 24 501

dave

tiddy30

Thanks dave,i think they are both the james's i am looking for and the later one must be my james.they are cousins and are living in the same house in the 1851 census.I still am unable to find deffinate proof of his parents :confused: I guess it could be the same mary but mary is his aunt and unmarried so she must be his fathers sister.I have looked for mary too to see if i can find his father that way too but no luck.

tiddy30

Hi dave,i cant quite make it out but i think it says john? cook and mary cook. If this is right then i think this is james's aunt and her family,they too had a son named james.But it does help a little in the fact that it gives me his uncles name.

Hi dave,i cant quite make it out but i think it says john? cook and mary cook. If this is right then i think this is james's aunt and her family,they too had a son named james.But it does help a little in the fact that it gives me his uncles name.
If you look closely you can see, John 31, Mary 27, Francis 18m, Elizabeth 26, and Jane 16
Is this your Elizabeth? unmarried sister to John?
dave

tiddy30

Hi dave,
This is the record i found that lists james with his aunt.
COOK, Mary Head Unmarried F 37 1814 Washer Woman Thorpbersat Yorkshire
COOK, Sarah J Daughter F 8 1843 Falsgrave Yorkshire
COOK, James Son M 6 1845 Scarbro Yorkshire
COOK, James Nephew M 5 1846 Scarbro Yorkshire
NOBLE, Ann Visitor Married F 26 1825 Cloth Cap Maker Gristhorpe
Yorkshire.
The james i am looking for is the nephew,well i guess they all will go on my tree once i get them all in order lol.

Hi dave,
This is the record i found that lists james with his aunt.
COOK, Mary Head Unmarried F 37 1814 Washer Woman Thorpbersat Yorkshire
COOK, Sarah J Daughter F 8 1843 Falsgrave Yorkshire
COOK, James Son M 6 1845 Scarbro Yorkshire
COOK, James Nephew M 5 1846 Scarbro Yorkshire
NOBLE, Ann Visitor Married F 26 1825 Cloth Cap Maker Gristhorpe
Yorkshire.
The james i am looking for is the nephew,well i guess they all will go on my tree once i get them all in order lol.
I think Mary's address is Thorpe Bassett, a small village about 15 miles from Scarborough just off the A64. Falsgrave is an area of Scarborough.
I have just noticed it says Mary as u/m. 1841 census, I wonder if this means John and Mary are siblings as is Elizabeth
How do you know James's mother was called Elizabeth?

tiddy30

Hi dave,i managed to trace elizabeth by looking for james's sister sarah and found her listed with her mother elizabeth,this was some time ago that i found it and cant seem to locate it again but i did save it on a drive somewhere lol just got to find it.