• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

JAMES COOK:confused:

tiddy30

HELP!! I have been looking for my ancestor james cook for a while now but unable to find any info on him before 1841.James was born in scarbrough in 1821 and married elizabeth between 1841 and 1846 as his first child was born in 1846.In the 1841 census he is listed as a ships wright,he was later listed as a ships carpinter.James also had a cousin with the same name born in 1822 and his mother was mary,i am still unable to find any parents for my james 1821.:confused: Can anyone help!!

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Tiddy30,

One of their childrens birth certificates will give the mothers maiden, once you have this then look for the marriage, the certificate will give the fathers name and occupation.:)

pejay

Valued Member
Could this be him on the IGI James Cook ch 7th March 1821 at Scarborough.
Parents John Cook and Elizabeth. It is an extracted record so it will be more reliable than a submitted one :) Also I have just found this -John Cook M Elizabeth Gray at Scarborough on 7th Oct 1819 also an extracted record, could this be his parents??

Last edited:

tiddy30

hi,juliejtp and pejay thanks soo much for your help! i think the info you found pejay could well be the info i have been looking for.i cant thank you enough,i will have to double check but i think my brick wall just got knocked down thanks to you.:)
pejay any idea's where i can get a copy of their marriage from? have looked on IGI and cant seem to find it.

Last edited:

pejay

Valued Member
Forgot to mention - he is down on IGI as James Cooke, try N Yorks record office at Malpas Road, Northallerton DL7 8TB tel 01609 777585. or you could send an email - archives@northyorks.gov.uk and ask if they have the parish records for Scarborough. I think you should also be able to get a copy from your nearest LDS Family History Centre however I do not know much about this. You would have to check their website. Good luck :)

tiddy30

Forgot to mention - he is down on IGI as James Cooke, try N Yorks record office at Malpas Road, Northallerton DL7 8TB tel 01609 777585. or you could send an email - archives@northyorks.gov.uk and ask if they have the parish records for Scarborough. I think you should also be able to get a copy from your nearest LDS Family History Centre however I do not know much about this. You would have to check their website. Good luck :)
thank you!!!!! now the fun starts again lol to find his parents info haha.oh the joy of family history never ends:D