• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

james donnachie Ayrshire

Hi
I have traced my family back to my great grandfather james donnachie who lived at burnfoot row neww cumnock ref 1891 census.

Anyone out there who may either have information to help me go further back
or give me some ideas
cheers

Ian D

Hi there

Ok...the 1891 New Cumnock census family looks like this:

Agnes Donnachie, age 4 Months
Hugh Donnachie, age 18
James Donnachie, age 16
Janes Donnachie, age 44
Margt Donnachie, age 42
Michael Donnachie, age 13
Richard Donnachie, age 11
Samuel Donnachie, age 3
William Donnachie, age 7

Not sure if your grgrandad is the father or son in this family but at any rate you've got great potential for going back one or more generations! The 1891census has an oldest son Hugh b. abt. 1873. Since this is before the IGI cutoff date then you stand a good chance of finding his birth recorded in there. There is one Hugh born in Riccarton with parents James and Margaret LOWRIE....and then plugging in those parents into a parent search you find another birth of a James in 1869. It's possible this James died and the one on the 1891 census is a second James to them but we still don't know if we have the right couple.

JAMES DONNOCHIE, Birth: 27 OCT 1869, Riccarton, Ayr, Scotland
HUGH DONNOCHIE, Birth: 22 OCT 1872, Riccarton, Ayr, Scotland

Ok...so now to double check that these are indeed the same couple that we're looking at in 1891....search for a BC on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for one of the least popular given names....like Richard for example....and there is only one born in New Cumnock in the whole time of statutory recordkeeping (odds are he's gonna be yours!!)....

1879 DONNOCHIE RICHARD M NEW CUMNOCK /AYR 608/00 0179

and a peek at it verifies the father and mother to be James and Margaret same as the two IGI births. You also gain from this just when and where they were married....and when you find their MC you'll learn who their parents were and if they were still living at the time of that marriage.

Here's a hint....you'll find it indexed like so:

1868 DONACHIE JAMES LOWRIE MARGARET KILMARNOCK /AYR 597/00 0199

Hope this helps you along...

Best wishes
Jean

PS...don't forget to watch out for the various spelling variations on that DONNACHIE surname....use your wildcards at all times!

Hi Jean
Thanks for the info
My grandfather was Michael, I only met his brother Sam who lived in N Cumnock

I Have also been contacted by the grand daughter of the sister Mary, she lives in Canada.

regards

IanD

Hi Ian

That sounds great! My family of interest also hailed from Ayrshire and in my internet searching I now have contact with 4 other "cousins" each descdended from our common ancestor 5 generations back. They are located in Scotland, the US, Canada, and Australia. It's been great fun sharing information and getting to know them.

Good luck with finding more of your family. Now that Scotlands People have opened access to modern indexes of births and deaths you may have some success in finding more living cousins on your own.

Best wishes
Jean

Greetings and Salutations,

I have trace a connection to James Donochy, b 1846, m 1868 to Margaret Lowrie. My family surname has had several variations but Lowrie is less likely to have variants so it seems a probable link.

His father was James Donachy, b 1845 and his father was Barney Donachy, b 1806.

I know there is a relationshipn to the Dunn family in Australia, to the Brown family in Canada, and to the Donahue family in America (Rumplik and Holicky)

Does this match?

Hugo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 7
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 3
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 12
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 0
Ellie7 Scottish Genealogy Roots 1
I Marriages 5