• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James EDWARDS

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Tree: James b. 11 May 1868 Swansea - Wales

Sydney Anglican Parish Register
James Edwards
Marriage Age: 24
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 3 Sep 1892
Marriage Place: Sydney, New South Wales
Parish as it Appears: Holy Trinity Church
Father: Frederick Edwards
Mother: Agnes Teresa Edwards

Spouse: Rebecca Frances Clara Johnston

I can't find a marriage for a Frederick EDWARDS to an Agnes before 1868 nor can I find the family in 1871. Several birth reg for a James in Wales in 1868 including one in Swansea with mmn= MORRIS.

Thanks,

Dave

I can't see a marriage for a Frederick Edwards to an Agnes either, nor can I find a James Edwards with father Frederick. Are you sure he wasn't born in Australia. The tree could be wrong (they often are, particularly if no source is given).

Emeltee

Thanks Emeltee.

I'll have to consider the 'born Swansea 1868' to be incorrect and see what can be found. This is his death

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/185200908
Coffs Harbour Advocate (NSW) - Tue 28 Jun 1932 p.3
KILLED BY TREE
Accident at Dorrigo
On Friday night Mr. James Edwards, who went to Dorrigo about 35 years ago and was one of the earliest settlers, was killed by a tree on a neighbour's property. He was 64 years of age and leaves a family of three sons and five daughters. The sons are Messrs. Onis and Victor, of Dorrigo, ...

Dave

No marriage in NSW or Qld. or Vic. index.

No birth for James 1866- 1870 in NSW or Qld. or Vic. index.

I've not seen the image of the 1892 marriage so don't know yet how accurate that transcription is.

There is something wrong because the transcription is Holy Trinity = Garrison Church Sydney and NSW BMD has district as Berrima on south coast of NSW.

There is a Holy Trinity CofE church in Berrima.

Image here - built 1849

Dave

Last edited:
No marriage in NSW or Qld. or Vic. index.

No birth for James 1866- 1870 in NSW or Qld. or Vic. index.

I've not seen the image of the 1892 marriage so don't know yet how accurate that transcription is.

There is something wrong because the transcription is Holy Trinity = Garrison Church Sydney and NSW BMD has district as Berrima on south coast of NSW.

There is a Holy Trinity CofE church in Berrima.

Image here - built 1849

Dave

James' marriage gives his PoB as Wales.. I've sent the image details.

Geoff

EDIT: If you have problems with image, let me know, I can enlarge and send the 2 pages separately.

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff.

Berrima not Sydney.

William Johan Johnston and Elizabeth Spence ??

Dave

Oh. :eek:

Birth JOHNSTON REBECCA FRANCES CLARA 7538/1873 WILLIAM ELIZABETH - BERRIMA

Wind the clock back a few days.

Marriage 2927/1858 JOHNSTON WILLIAM - SPENCE ELIZABETH - WOLLONGONG

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been following this topic at a distance [including Oris].

It is not easy, there appears to be 2 families with some similar named connections :rolleyes:

Geoff

Not sure how I ended up in Qld.

Joadja is NW of Berrima.

We are still looking then for Frederick & Agnes as that bit of the transcription is correct.

Dave

That's easy now Geoff.

This for Johnston family

Marriage 2927/1858 JOHNSTON WILLIAM - SPENCE ELIZABETH - WOLLONGONG

William was a school teacher.

The marriage for James for Edwards family.

The mine at Joadja was for oil shale and the one at Berrima for coal.

I'll be back in a few hours.

Dave

Can't blame Fred for the mistake. :biggrin:

At least we don't have to find Absalom in census any more.

Johnston should be easy.

Edwards is still a problem. James born Wales abt 1868 - parents Frederick and Agnes.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136444195
Illawarra Mercury (Wollongong, NSW : 1856 - 1950) Mon 11 Oct 1858 Page 3
Married.
On Wednesday 6th inst., at the residence of the bride's
father, by the Rev. G. Charter, Mr William Johnston,
eldest son of Mr Thomas Johnston Dapto, to Elizabeth,
eldest, daughter of Mr William Spence, Keira House, near
Wollongong.

William Spence death cert online - Elizabeth's father who died 5 Oct 1883 Kembla st Wollongong a Farmer, age 68 born Co Tyrone Ireland, 46 years in colony. Father = Robert Spence a stonemason & Mother Jane Kirk. Married Glasgow Scotland at age 20 to Agnes Gordon. Children of marriage:
Elizabeth 46, Jane 44, Mary 42, Robert 35, Martha 33, John 31, Emily 28, Living. 1 male 3 females dec.
died of heart disease buried 7 Oct 1883 Congregational Cemetery Wollongong.

His Will - NSW Gov Gazette Fri 19 Oct 1883 be granted to Reverend Robert William Spence of Ipswich Qld and John Mackie Spence of Bowral NSW - railway porter.

William age 23, Agnes age 23 and baby Sarah Spence arrived 3 Dec 1837 on "Portland"from Glasgow - NSW Assisted passenger list. - Sarah dies at sea 23 Aug 1837

death of Mother -Agnes nee Gordon
SMH Wed 26 Oct 1898
SPENCE.—October 25, at her residence, Kembla-street Wollongong, Agnes, relict of the late William Spence, of Wollongong, in her 85th year.

working on children from father's death cert. - I haven't verified if dates are correct on them... Elizabeth and her siblings..

Elizabeth 46, - married William Johnston - died 1 May 1914 Dorrigo
Jane 44, married 6 April 1859 Wollongong to John Brown - died 22 Nov 1903 Bega
Mary 42, - married ? - died 1903 Berry NSW
Rev Robert 35, - Qld Times - DEATHS. On the 8th February, 1885 at Quarry-street, Ipswich, Rev. Robert William Spence, of Wollongong, New South Wales, aged 35 years.
Martha 33, - married 30 June 1875 to James Wilmot - died 3 May 1937 Burwood NSW
John 31, - died 25 Feb Wollongong
Emily 28, - married 23 Aug 1876 Frederick William Hewlett - died 22 March 1934 Wollongong.

regards Val

Last edited:
Elizabeth 46, - married William Johnston - died 1 May 1914 Dorrigo

Northern Star Lismore Mon 18 May 1914 - THE LATE MRS. E. JOHNSTON.

Mrs. Elizabeth Johnston passed away at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Jas. Edwards, at the Dorrigo on the 1st instant in her 76th year, heart trouble being the cause of her death. The deceased lady came as an infant from Scotland with her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Spence, who settled at Wollongong. At the age of 21 she was married to Mr. Wm. Johnston, who predeceased her 33 years ago.
After his death she made her home with her children, of which there are six living, three sons and three daughters, viz. :— Thomas J., William R., and J. Wesley, all living at the Dorrigo. The daughters are Mrs. Robert Noble, Lismore, Mrs. E. Johnson and Mrs. James Edwards, Dorrigo.

Thanks Val.

I was having some trouble finding the right deaths for William and Elizabeth Johnston.

Dave

33 years ago so abt 1881 ?? 1880 - 1882

JOHNSTON WILLIAM 10354/1882 AGE 24 YEARS DIED WAGGA WAGGA WAGGA WAGGA

JOHNSTON WILLIAM 12432/1882 AGE 68 YEARS DIED MENINDIE MENINDIE

Lots if Johnson.

Last edited:
Back