• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

James Edwin Pope Master Mariner (Collier)

Hi, I am having great difficulties try to trace a death. James Edwin Pope was born in Bosham, West Sussex in 1831, but moved to Portsmouth, Hants, all records say he is a Master Mariner, as was his ancestors before him. I have traced him through to 1871 on Census aged 40 a Master Mariner (Collier) as written on Census, living in Portsmouth, Hants, on the 1881 Census he seems to be dead as his wife is a Widow, I know they had 4 children, the eldest also a James is in the Poorhouse on 1881Census. The Youngest George is aged 8 on Census so birth year 1873, so I'm guessing James Snr. was alive in 1872. My problem is I can't find a death entry for him in the Portsmouth area under James Edwin or just James Pope, so I'm assuming something happened to him elsewhere. Collier to me is Coal I think? so perhaps on a ship transporting coal to somewhere, but where to in 1872-1881? This Brickwall has been bugging me for ages, I've tried most outlets with no success and wondered if a fresh set of eyes could possibly give another suggestion. Thank you for reading anyway.

Jacqui