• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James Edwin Pope Master Mariner (Collier)

Hi, I am having great difficulties try to trace a death. James Edwin Pope was born in Bosham, West Sussex in 1831, but moved to Portsmouth, Hants, all records say he is a Master Mariner, as was his ancestors before him. I have traced him through to 1871 on Census aged 40 a Master Mariner (Collier) as written on Census, living in Portsmouth, Hants, on the 1881 Census he seems to be dead as his wife is a Widow, I know they had 4 children, the eldest also a James is in the Poorhouse on 1881Census. The Youngest George is aged 8 on Census so birth year 1873, so I'm guessing James Snr. was alive in 1872. My problem is I can't find a death entry for him in the Portsmouth area under James Edwin or just James Pope, so I'm assuming something happened to him elsewhere. Collier to me is Coal I think? so perhaps on a ship transporting coal to somewhere, but where to in 1872-1881? This Brickwall has been bugging me for ages, I've tried most outlets with no success and wondered if a fresh set of eyes could possibly give another suggestion. Thank you for reading anyway.

Jacqui

Hi Steve,

No I haven't, not really sure what to get? .. none in Portsmouth area for the time I stated. I did try to work out by his age, but still can't find one that would fit apart from one in Devon I think? This could prove costly ..lol Thanks for replying, really appreciated.

Jacqui

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jacqui,

I would start with the Newton Abbott one. Logic says a seaport/estuary/river location, and not an inland one.

Name: James Pope
Est birth year: abt 1830
Year of Reg: 1872
Qtr of Reg: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 42
District: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
Volume: 5b
Page: 96

You'll have to start somewhere, but if it was me, that's the first one I'd go for.

Fingers crossed.

Steve.:)

Steve, that was the one I thought, closest I think in age etc. ... Just hope it has details of death etc.,as like I said eldest son in Poorhouse on 1881 Census :-( Shame they dont give place of birth on Deaths, would be so much easier to trace:) Got this family, was my late husbands maternal side, back to 1500's, got 2 wills, but can't read them!!! Grrr!!

Thank you once again.
Jacqui

Hi Lee
Interesting history, but not one of my Popes', but thank you for answering. I have actually got my Popes' back to 1465 with a John Pope,Sussex, most of mine came from Sussex, East and West. I have a little website here on Tribal Pages if you are interested. You never know, may be someone on here related and happy with the info, all researched and proved. My next journey involves The Newdigate Family, Edmund Pope married Elizabeth Newdigate born 1500, father was Walter Newdigate, this family go way back to John De Newdigate who lived in the time of King John r 1199-1216 (The Angevins) supposed to be a link with Royalty, so that should be fun proving.

http://jacquiuk.tribalpages.com

Jacqui

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 5
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
DaveHam9 1891 Census Request 6
DaveHam9 Deaths 10
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 4