• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James LAVENDER

gaelwyn

Valued Member
Hi,
My Gx2 GM, Sarah Sutton, married James Lavender in 1878 in Richmond, NSW in the District registry office.
The marriage cert. states he was 23 yrs old, a farmer and illegitimate. No other information given about parentage!! :'(

His death was in 1929 on 'Tennyson', his son's farm in North Richmond, the year before Sarah passed away
5418/1929 LAVENDER JAMES 76YRS (TENNYSON) RICHMOND

That gives birth to be in 1853, not 1855, as marriage cert. says.
He had 2 brothers .... Henry b. 1847 -d. 1940 ...parents George & Sarah
and George b. 1855 - d. 1949 ..... can't find a birth registered for George.
Neither can I find a marriage for George and Sarah, though there are more births registered for them

Can someone help??

Gail :)

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Gail

If I have the correct family, George and Sarah appear to be native to Sussex, England.

They have 3 children by 1837, Charles b. 1834, Emily 1836 and William 1837, the next child is Elizabeth b. 1839 b. Richmond, NSW - Vol No. V1839846 23A.

That would give an arrival date 1837-1839...

This looks appropriate..
New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896
George Lavender
Birth Year: abt 1809
Arrival Date: 26 Jun 1838
Vessel Name: Westminster
[Image has: Occ: Farm Labourer. Sarah Lavender 26, Charles 4, William inf', Emilie (Emily) 2]

I haven't been able to find a marriage yet.

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Gail,

Im confused :confused:

If there are no parents names on his marriage cert. and his death index gives no parents names where did the names George and Sarah come from for his parents?

This is the only birth for a James Lavender that i can find.

11182/1857 LAVENDER JAMES RICHARD SARAH SHOALHAVEN
11093/1867 LAVENDER GEORGE RICHARD SARAH MACLEAY RIVER

horse

Loyal Member
It is complicated... I have found a couple of stories that may explain Sarah's behaviour in the 1850's. I'll email you a copy, gibbo, see what you think..

Geoff

gibbo

Loyal Member
NSW birth

11360/1859 LAVENDER JANE SARAH PENRITH

According to Gail's information James and George were born before 1859. If Sarah had registered Jane's birth how come James and George's birth dont appear to be registered.

Im not sure its the right family :confused: I would be interested to hear where Gail got her information so we can check the source.

horse

Loyal Member
NSW birth

11360/1859 LAVENDER JANE SARAH PENRITH

According to Gail's information James and George were born before 1859. If Sarah had registered Jane's birth how come James and George's birth dont appear to be registered.

Im not sure its the right family :confused: I would be interested to hear where Gail got her information so we can check the source.
On balance, I would tend to agree, unless Gail has something else as you say. :rolleyes:

gaelwyn

Valued Member
Hi Gail,

Im confused :confused:

If there are no parents names on his marriage cert. and his death index gives no parents names where did the names George and Sarah come from for his parents?

This is the only birth for a James Lavender that i can find.

11182/1857 LAVENDER JAMES RICHARD SARAH SHOALHAVEN
11093/1867 LAVENDER GEORGE RICHARD SARAH MACLEAY RIVER

Hi Gibbo,

That is definitely the wrong family :)
When James died in 1929, an article stated that he had 2 brothers ... a Mr H. Lavender and a Mr G. Lavender :)

The Shoalhaven James Lavender moved to Bellingen and married a Helen Stokes in 1890 .... they had several children and he died in 1938 in Bellingen. He and Helen are buried together :)

gaelwyn

Valued Member
What is still puzzling is why George and James weren't registered AND it says illegitimate on the marriage certificate :(

Unless George snr involved himself in some extra-curricular activities ;) :eek:

gibbo

Loyal Member
That gives birth to be in 1853, not 1855, as marriage cert. says.
He had 2 brothers .... Henry b. 1847 -d. 1940 ...parents George & Sarah
and George b. 1855 - d. 1949 ..... can't find a birth registered for George.
Neither can I find a marriage for George and Sarah, though there are more births registered for them
Gail can i ask what lead you to the above family for James Lavender?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 7
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 3
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 12
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 0
Ellie7 Scottish Genealogy Roots 1
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 0