• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James Lowe b Hindley 1863/64

Hi. I have posted before about this man and have now got a little bit further with him, quite frankly I am in such a muddle regarding the parents of James Lowe. I have his marriage cert from 1887 to Mary Gregory and it states his father is Robert Lowe, coal miner. He is 22 when he marries so his birth is around 1865. I have trawled through births for James Lowe around this time in Wigan and have come up with quite a few possible births but none with a father Robert? I found a James Lowe on 1871 census living with grandparents Robert and Margaret Partington (no parents). It appears that Robert Partington married Margaret Lowe in 1846 in the Bolton area. I am going round in circles and would welcome any suggestions as to what may be going on here and how I could move forward. Take care you all

Hi

Have checked this birth out, unfortunately not my James, I know his father is named as Robert Lowe on the marriage cert. Thanks for your help
Beginning to think James may have lied about his father Robert (on marriage cert), have spent several hours trawling through birth and census records for James Lowe born to Robert Lowe and not one of them ties in. The nearest I can come to finding James Lowe is that he is the grandson of Robert and Margaret Partington (see 1871/1881 census), ironically Margaret;s maiden name was Lowe!!!. What a puzzle