• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

james metcalf(e) and Eleanor Swalwell

emeltee

Loyal Member
James Metcalf married Eleanor Swalwell in South Cowton, N Yorks in 1757 according to familysearch ( and Fmp's copy of the index)

James died in South Cowton in 1808 aged 70 according to the image of the original register. This gives him a birth year of c1738

Eleanor died in South Cowton in 1824 according to the NBI, aged 92. This gives a birth year of c 1732.

I have details of their children so don't need anything about them. What I am looking for are baptisms for James and Eleanor. I haven't seen the original of the marriage so don't know if it says otp or gives another parish - or more likely says nothing at all. Consequently I have no idea where they were born. However I have found deaths for an Anthony Swalwell 1771 East Cowton described as an old man and an Elizabeth Swalwell 1791 East Cowton aged 101! As James and Eleanor named two of their children Anthony and Elizabeth, I'm wondering whether or not these were Eleanor's parents. James and Eleanor's other two children were James and Mary - his parents perhaps?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Emeltee