• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James PETER

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Hello,

I'm looking for two births in Victoria:

James PETER b. abt 1841 Vic. ?

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) - Friday 21 July 1865 p.4
MARRIAGES
PETER - COX.-On the 19th Inst., at Argyle cottage, Picnic Point, Brighton, James Peter, Esq., Keilambete, Queensland, to Isabella Jane, second daughter of the late Francis James Cox, Warrnambool.

Rockhampton Bulletin and Central Queensland Advertiser (Qld. : 1861 - 1871) - Tuesday 26 September 1865 p.3
DEATHS
On the 14th instant, at Oakey Creek Station, Mackenzie River, New Peak Downs Road, James H. Peter, Esq, Keilambete, in the 25th year of his age.

There seems to be no death reg.

Felix CLEWETT b. 1874 South Melbourne, Vic. ?

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:
This might help some. Appears he might have been born in VIC.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957)
Monday 23 October 1865

PETER.-On tho 14th ult., at the Oakey Creek Station, Rockhampton, Queensland, James Henry Peter, Esq , of Keilambete Station, Queensland, formerly of Warrnambool, Victoria, in the twenty flfth year of his age. Deeply regretted,

No, gibbo. I searched using just p*

Yes, I had a good time and the weather was very kind. :biggrin: Raining now in Sydney.

Thanks gibbo. :)

Married in 1865 in Victoria and possibly born there although the name PETER/PETERS suggests the family was from Germany.

:2fun:

I think there are lots with stuff still to find including some topics with no replies at all yet.

Would probably appear in both but I can't see it in NSW, Vic. or Qld.

Tree says born Scotland. Parents James & Mary:

PETER James - Thomas Arbuthnot 1841 Port Phillip and Mary and family Reel 2144, [4/4814] Page 51

Last edited:
This is the only one i can find that is closest. I havent checked it out any further.

V18431559 27A/1843 PETERS JAMES JAMES MARTHA

This might help some. Appears he might have been born in VIC.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957)
Monday 23 October 1865

PETER.-On tho 14th ult., at the Oakey Creek Station, Rockhampton, Queensland, James Henry Peter, Esq , of Keilambete Station, Queensland, formerly of Warrnambool, Victoria, in the twenty flfth year of his age. Deeply regretted,

Hi Dave

Pleased you had a nice time whilst away...

I see Gibbo tackled the homework issue, we were left with your old scraps :2fun:

Not a lot but confirms Gibbo's find.

One of the trees has this
"1864
14 Sep
Oakey Creek Queensland
Died returning to work as a cattleman at "Keilambete" near Emerald, two months after his marriage. He left no children."
End Quote

Geoff

Edit; though 1864 is wrong!

Last edited:
Hello Geoff,

Yes, I did leave just the old stuff.

Found that tree thanks.

I think I need no more on James so just need the one CLEWETT birth in Victoria - all the siblings were born in Qld.

Isabella remarried:

1870/C3029 Clewett Unnamed (F) Felix Isabella Jane Cox
1873/C3155 Clewett Margaret Kate Felix Isabella Jane Cox
1874 Felix ? South Melbourne, Vic. ??
1876/C0067 Clewitt George Murray Felix Isabella Jane Cox
1880/C0111 Clewett Frank Byerley Felix Isabella Jane Cox
1884/C7397 Clewitt Unnamed (M) Felix Isabella Jane Cox
1886/C8743 Clewett Edward Felix Isabella Jane Cox

Dave

Felix Clewett
Father: Felix Clewett
Mother: Isabella Jane Cox
S Elb, Victoria
Reg Year: 1874
Reg Place: Victoria
Reg number: 17655

Geoff

I guess I'd better try to find more evidence there was a son named Felix born abt 1874.

Qld. Death 1897/C0135 Clewett Felix - Felix Clewett - Isabel Jane Cox

Thanks Geoff.

I guess that means South Melbourne. Those Victorian abbreviations are strange because they are not unique. Some can be any one of up to four towns.

Dave

Thanks Geoff.

I guess that means South Melbourne. Those Victorian abbreviations are strange because they are not unique. Some can be any one of up to four towns.

Dave

Yes, would you like a copy of the schedule?

I can't read it, but you may be able to.

Geoff

He's with a Margaret Kate in 1903

Felix Clewett
Electoral Year: 1903
State: Queensland
Dist: Capricornia
Subdist: Rockhampton
[He's also with Frank Bryerly Clewett and George Murray Clewett]

I can't find a marriage, Isabella d. 1893.

Geoff

Back