• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James R THOMSON & Mary B MENZIES

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Bap V18434493 47/1843 THOMPSON MARGARET - JAMES - MARGARET

Page 14
Presbyterian Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of St. Lawrence in the County of Cumberland in the Year 1843
No. 204 When Baptised: May 28th 1843 When Born: May 1st 1843 Margaret - James Thompson & Margaret Ferguson Abode: Sussex St Sydney Quality or Profession: Labourer By whom the Ceremony was performed: James Fullerton

No. 205 When Baptised: May 28th 1843 When Born: May 1st 1843 Robert - James Thompson & Margaret Ferguson Abode: Sussex St Sydney Quality or Profession: Labourer By whom the Ceremony was performed: James Fullerton

Looks to be a different family.

Last edited:
May not be easy to determine that, Dave.. there are 2x Wm Thompson and 1x James Thomson on that ship..

See attachment.

Geoff
Scotland? At sea?

Richard Cunliffe Thomson
Birth Date: 31 Aug 1881
Birth Place: North Leith, Midlothian
Father: James Richard Thomson
Mother: Mary Breckenridge Menzies Thomson
FHL Film Number: 232688
Reference ID: v 692-1 p 202

Geoff
Hello. I am new to this site but Richard Cunliffe Thomson is my great grandfather and I am keen to find out more information about the family esp James Richard Thomson.
Thank you.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Everything found so far is in the posts on this forum.

If you have a specific query then the members here will try to help you.

Dave

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Everything found so far is in the posts on this forum.

If you have a specific query then the members here will try to help you.

Dave
Thanks Dave.
I am wondering if anyone knows what James Richard Thomson did after he left Callao. I believe he was already married to Mary Menzies and they had one child (James stedman) in Peru but then they went to Glasgow, I think, for a couple of years before returning to Australia. I believe they had another two children in Glasgow (Ellen newton and Richard cunliff) and then three more when they returned to Sydney.
I just wonder what James Richard did for work when he went back to Glasgow.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Meredith

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ellen is the connection to my tree so I have a copy of her birth reg. Some of it is hard to read.

Birth 1879 THOMSON ELLEN NEWTON F 490/ 437 Stirling
Page 146
1979 BIRTHS in the Parish of Stirling in the Burgh of Stirling
No. 437 Ellen Newton Thomson - 1879 November Twelfth 9 h. 30m A.M. 17 Abercromby Place Stirling - F - James Richard Thomson Marine Engineer (Superintendent) Mary Brekinridge Thomson M.S. Menzies
1877 May 19 or 29 ? Callao, Peru - James R Thomson Father (present) - 1879 November 29th at Stirling Eben Gentleman Registrar

Birth 1881 THOMSON RICHARD CUNLIFF M 692/1 604 Leith North

I don't have the births after 1881 after arrival back in Australia by 1886, which I also don't have.

New South Wales Government Gazette (Sydney, NSW) - Fri 3 Sep 1886 [Issue No.499] Page 6004
NOTICE UNDER REAL PROPERTY ACT.
No. 6,665. Hunter's Hill, 1 acre 0 roods 18¼ perches, at Woolwich, lots 3 to 7 of section 1, of Clarke's subdivision, and part of 16 acres granted to J. Clarke.
James Richard Thomson Hunter's Hill 11 Nov., 1886

Dave

Last edited:
Th
Ellen is the connection to my tree so I have a copy of her birth reg. Some of it is hard to read.

Birth 1879 THOMSON ELLEN NEWTON F 490/ 437 Stirling
Page 146
1979 BIRTHS in the Parish of Stirling in the Burgh of Stirling
No. 437 Ellen Newton Thomson - 1879 November Twelfth 9 h. 30m A.M. 17 Abercromby Place Stirling - F - James Richard Thomson Marine Engineer (Superintendent) Mary Brekinridge Thomson M.S. Menzies
1877 May 19 or 29 ? Callao, Peru - James R Thomson Father (present) - 1879 November 29th at Stirling Eben Gentleman Registrar

Birth 1881 THOMSON RICHARD CUNLIFF M 692/1 604 Leith North

I don't have the births after 1881 after arrival back in Australia by 1886, which I also don't have.

New South Wales Government Gazette (Sydney, NSW) - Fri 3 Sep 1886 [Issue No.499] Page 6004
NOTICE UNDER REAL PROPERTY ACT.
No. 6,665. Hunter's Hill, 1 acre 0 roods 18¼ perches, at Woolwich, lots 3 to 7 of section 1, of Clarke's subdivision, and part of 16 acres granted to J. Clarke.
James Richard Thomson Hunter's Hill 11 Nov., 1886

Dave
Thank you, Dave.
that’s great.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The date is hard to read.

Also, having another look it does not seem to read Marine. It is too long so it is probably Mechanical.

Ellen.JPG

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The Registrar's name was confirmed from another source.

Registrar's Office, 2 Dumbarton Road — Eben. Gentleman, ...

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW) - Mon 29 Oct 1894 p.2
Mr. James Richard Thomson, manager of the Atlas Works, Woolwich, has been elected an alderman for East Ward of the borough of Hunter's-Hill, vice Alderman Oswald M'Master, resigned.

The occupation in the marriage is Mechanical not Marine I now believe.

Looks as though he worked on steam engines so could be called marine or mechanical engineer.

The Age (Melbourne, Vic.) - Fri 7 Jul 1882 p.4
PATENT for " Improvements in Valves for the Air Pumps of Steam Engines" (a communication from James Richard Thomson, of 20 Pitt-street, Bonnington, Edinburgh, Scotland).—This is to notify that ARTHUR LATIMER M'CREDIE, of 20 Wynyard-street, Sydney, New South Wales, engineer, did, on the thirtieth day of June, 1882, deposit at the office of the Registrar-General, in Melbourne, a specification, or instrument in writing, under his hand and seal, ...

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Another error.

NSW Death 21235/1947 THOMPSON RICHARD CUNLIFFE - JAMES RICHARD - MARY BRECKENBRIDGE - INVERELL * 15 Jul 1947