• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James Robert CHANNON

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Anne,

Thanks. That's a good way to get the date of death when it's not in Ryerson or a death notice.

I had those two marriages for Henry but I don't know where he fits in or if 'John J' is correct.

Death 3908/1921 CHANNON HENRY W - JOHN J - - BOOROWA

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 23 February 1921
DEATHS
CHANNON.-February 18, 1921, at Boorowa District Hospital, Henry William Channon, aged 89 years. Interred at Frogmore.

I had the probate notice:

The Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday 19 February 1898
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW SOUTH WALES.-Probate Jurisdiction.-In the Will of JEAN (or JANE) VICTORIA CHANNON, late of Frogmore, in the colony of New South Wales, Married Woman, deceased.-Applcation will be made after fourteen days from the publicition hereof that Probate of the last Will of the abovenamed deceased may be granted to HENRY CHANNON, the Executor named in the said Will. WHITE and WOLSTENHOLME, Proctors for Applicant, 121 Pitt street, Sydney.

The date of birth for Thomas is not on the baptism record as it is recorded on FS.

Do you know if Thomas married?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Henry W's age at his death puts him being born about 1831-1832. He is between James Robert Channon (1830-1870) and John Francis (1833-). Not suggesting he is a brother but a cousin maybe. The old writing is very hard to decipher and J's, F's and even I's can sometimes be indecipherable. Frances Hamilton Baker's Baptism/Birth record has been transcribed as Frances A on NSW BDM. I guess without purchasing the certificate it's anyone's guess!

I have made an assumption (until I get cracking on him & the extended family) that he was unmarried at the time of his death. But will investigate after I have finished the main line through Frances Hamilton Baker and Thomas Channon.

I was given the birth info on Thomas from a great-granddaughter of Thomas & Frances, who got it from her cousin who is a Mormon "reserving his place" by doing his family tree. Unfortunately she died suddenly at 71 and I have no contact with her cousin. Because he would have free access to the IGI I assumed it was a baptismal record.

Cheers
Anne
Excuse my ignorance but what is "FS" please?

OOPS!!

I have made an assumption (until I get cracking on him & the extended family) that he (Thomas 1835-1891) was unmarried at the time of his death. But will investigate after I have finished the main line through Frances Hamilton Baker and Thomas Channon.

Anne

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Anne,

Thanks.

FS= Family Search = LDS = IGI - you know the site. :)

Search Results for International Genealogical Index (IGI)
1-1 of 1 results for >Name: thomas channon, Event: Birth, Place: devon, Event Range: 1835-1835

Thomas Channon
England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening: 19 Jul 1835 SAINT SIDWELL,​EXETER,​DEVON,​ENGLAND
parents: Thomas Channon,​ Anne

name: Thomas Channon
baptism/christening date: 19 Jul 1835
baptism/christening place: SAINT SIDWELL,EXETER,DEVON,ENGLAND
birth date:
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Thomas Channon
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Anne
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C05051-2 <--- Batch number previously written as C050512
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 916841
reference number:

Post #6 is my transcription of the record on film. The index has the initial as A but the record clearly has the middle name as Hamilton.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
I knew I was going to kick myself for asking about FS. Thanks for being so kind.
You are right about the "A" and it definitely being Hamilton. Frances' daughter Elizabeth Ellen (de-facto with Roderick Henry Thomas Dhu) called her first daughter Affiled Elizabeth Hamilton Dhu. I have yet to discover where the "Hamilton" came from.
Thanks again, as there is no proof yet I will discard the date of birth for Thomas 1835.
Anne

Hi Dave,
I have Henry William Channons marriage certificate but as usual it is blank except for the Church details, die not even give Henry and Jean Victoria Lang's ages. He is a miner and she is a teacher. The only way to get the rest of the details would be to contact St Paul's Anglican Church Adelong. His death certificate might give more info but we all know how reliable they are!
Regards
Anne

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Anne,

Thanks for those details.

Do you think the actual register will have more details?

Adelong is in the Canberra/Goulburn Diocese and those records are on film at the Mitchell Library.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Initially the churches were only required to send a certain amount of information to the Registrar General. It is my experience that the churches held all the details that were given and many only passed on what was required. My great grandparents marriage certificate from BDM held only basic information, but when I went to Singleton and saw the actual register it was all there. So I think it is worth a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Anne

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Anne,

Yes, that would make sense of the records I've seen on film of the entries marked afterwards by the Registrar General with the current on-line reg no. They are copies of entries from the original register because a page full is written in the same hand even though different ministers were involved.

Regards,

Dave

Catman

Hello Anne,

Thanks. That's a good way to get the date of death when it's not in Ryerson or a death notice.

I had those two marriages for Henry but I don't know where he fits in or if 'John J' is correct.

Death 3908/1921 CHANNON HENRY W - JOHN J - - BOOROWA

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 23 February 1921
DEATHS
CHANNON.-February 18, 1921, at Boorowa District Hospital, Henry William Channon, aged 89 years. Interred at Frogmore.

I had the probate notice:

The Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday 19 February 1898
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW SOUTH WALES.-Probate Jurisdiction.-In the Will of JEAN (or JANE) VICTORIA CHANNON, late of Frogmore, in the colony of New South Wales, Married Woman, deceased.-Applcation will be made after fourteen days from the publicition hereof that Probate of the last Will of the abovenamed deceased may be granted to HENRY CHANNON, the Executor named in the said Will. WHITE and WOLSTENHOLME, Proctors for Applicant, 121 Pitt street, Sydney.

The date of birth for Thomas is not on the baptism record as it is recorded on FS.

Do you know if Thomas married?

Regards,

Dave
James is buried in Rookwood cemetery .Located about 15 miles west of Sydney.There is a section surrounded by a brick circle where victims of suicide are buried.This area is unconsecrated ground.The circle is meant to confine these lost souls from wandering.His grave has a small shrub planted on it.

Catman

Hi Dave,
I knew I was going to kick myself for asking about FS. Thanks for being so kind.
You are right about the "A" and it definitely being Hamilton. Frances' daughter Elizabeth Ellen (de-facto with Roderick Henry Thomas Dhu) called her first daughter Affiled Elizabeth Hamilton Dhu. I have yet to discover where the "Hamilton" came from.
Thanks again, as there is no proof yet I will discard the date of birth for Thomas 1835.
Anne
My mother is Affield Elizabeth Hamilton Dhu.

Catman

My mother is Affield Elizabeth Hamilton Dhu.
Elizabeth Ellen Channon was married first to Mr Bennett and had a daughter Constance Mary Bennett.Constance married Mr Rod Carter and had 3children. One became a priest,one married a jockey, Arthur Ward who became Frank Packers trainer after he had a riding accident.

Catman

Thanks for the details.

Dave
I have some family photos and an extensive gedcom on my mother's family and my dad's family.I visited Captains Flat and took photos of the old Lake George gold mine that James managed circa 1900 to 1912.We stayed at Queanbeyan nearby.I have a photo of Adeleng gold mine with Ellizabeth Ellen Channon and family working at the surface.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solidrock2 Genealogy General Help 8
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 0
P Other Military Ancestry 9
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 11