• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

James Ross and Isabella Lamont

Taykay

Trying to find James Ross's birth, parents and siblings. James Ross came to South Africa before 1811. He was a shopkeeper/ merchant in Cape Town. In 1808 to about 1811 he had a partnership with M Morrison which was eventually dissolved.
James Ross married Isabella Lamont on the 12 May 1811 in Cape Town, English church. All it says on the marriage record is that Jame is from Scotland and Isabella from Glasgow, Scotland. They had 7 children, John Alexander b. 1812 d. 1813. Alexander b. 1814 and his twin James b. 1814. Mary Helen b. 1816. John Norman b. 1818. Patrick Colquhoun b. 1821. Robert McMillan b. 1824.

A few days ago I received info about Isabella Lamont. A gentleman had transcribed a Will of Patrick Colquhoun b.1745 Dumbarton - d. 1820 London. He refers to his niece 'Isabella the wife of James Ross now resident at the Cape of Good Hope'. She was the daughter of his sister Mary Lamont (nee Colquhoun) wife of John Lamont.
I have managed to trace Mary Lamont's ancestors to the 1650's in Dumbartonshire.

But it is James Ross that I am still stuck on. And now also John Lamont. Can any one help please. Thanks.
PS. I am taking a guest that James's father was probably called Alexander and mother Helen, acording to the naming of his children?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
juliejtp Travel and Migration 13
juliejtp Marriages 2
juliejtp Births 4
DaveHam9 Marriages 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 36
DaveHam9 Deaths 6