• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

James SAMPLE, Paisley

This is my first proper post, so I hope I'm phrasing this in the right way (please correct me if the details/questions poor).

I've traced my family back until a military discharge certificate for James Sample dated 26-7-1842 (for medical reasons), and I'd like to know more about him, but I don't really know where to start with looking for Scottish roots. I've been using FindMyPast so far, and before I start forking out money for ScotlandsPeople (which I haven't been able to find much from the free search facility) I'd like to get some advice/help, even if it turns out to be best to go to the records office in Edinburgh.

The notes on the discharge certificate say he was a Weaver, born in the parish of Abbey in Paisley, Renfrew, and that he was in the 72nd Regiment of Fort (if I read that correctly) and served at the Cape of Good Hope.

I also found a 1941 Census when he was in the military in Stonehouse Barracks, Plymouth indicating him as 20 years old and born in Scotland.

I guess my questions would be what would be the best way to find out more about James Sample's life in Scotland, and find his ancestors, as well as the connecion to the family crest and kilt (my fiancé love the idea of me having a kilt :rolleyes:).