• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

James Smith and new leads.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Remember a while back I was struggling to find info on the origin of James Smith born c1792-died 1849, a tin plate worker of Oxford city, not born in county as he stated in the 1841 census and died 2 years prior to the 1851 census?

He wed to Sarah Inkpen in 1819 in oxford. One witness was Andrew Carney and the other Hannah Hawkes. Andrew worked in a similar trade to James Smith, and I found he was from London originally. Not found his baptism.

I thought I'd delve into Hannah Hawkes. She lived near James Smith in Oxford at the time. I found she was born in 1800 in Boddington, Northamptonshire to Jonas Hawkes and Mary (Unknown maiden surname). Jonas Hawkes was from Marsh Gibbon in Buckinghamshire, born there in 1764 I think, son of Thomas and Eliz. Jonas had a sister Elizabeth Hawkes born 1767. In November 1786, Elizabeth Hawkes wed a Joseph Smith in Marsh Gibbon. Sadly, access to original registers is unavailable online and the FMP Marsh Gibbon ones sem to be from Bishops transcripts, which as I know from experience, often omit the additional details required for 1754 onwards marriages, such as the witnesses.

In 1841 I found a Thomas Smith, tin plate worker, living in Marsh Gibbon, not born in county. Same occupation as my ancestor James. Thomas died in 1847.

If the surname was Grompoppenthwaite (a surname I made up that sounds Yorkshire) or Bracegirdle, it probably would be easier to find a link by blood to James Smith and the Hawkes/Smiths of Marsh Gibbon but with a surname like Smith, it could be coincidence that Hannah Hawkes' (who witnessed James Smith's marriage) maternal aunty wed someone with the surname Smith, such as Hannah was the bride's friend and Andrew Carney was the groom's friend, and friends of spouses as witnesses is of virtually no genealogical help.

Could be a lead though, not yet found a James Smith baptised to Joseph and Elizabeth in that area c1786-1800.

Last edited: