• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

James Williams And Harriet Whittaker Marriage Certificate

Hi,

Can anyone assist me in transcribing the below marriage certificate.

I am particularly stuck on the occupations and residence at the time of marriage.

Below is what I think I think the certificate says,

1874 Marriage solemnized at St Judes Church in the Parish of West Derby in the County of Lancaster
No: 416
When Married: May 23rd

Name And Surname: James Williams
Condition: ????
Rank or Profession: Plasterer
Residence at the time of Marriage: Halborn R
Father: James Williams
Rank of Profession Of Father: Dyer????

Name And Surname: Harriet Wihittaker
Condition: Spinster?
Rank or Profession: N/A
Residence at the time of Marriage: Halborn R
Father: George Whittiker
Rank of Profession Of Father: Tailor???

Married In the Church of St Jude according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, By …….. or after …….. by me,
This Marriage was solemnized between us,
James Williams
Harrier Whittacker

In the prescence of us;

John Cole
??????????

Thanks

Gareth

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
23 rd or 25 th ?? I can't see the top of the 3 and it does not look like rd. I can see a dash that looks like a separated top of the 5.

What date is the next one No 417?

...after banns by me... Jos (Josiah) B Lowe

Elizabeth Knight

Last edited:
See below page prior to my ancestors marriage.

Page after my ancestors marriage.

I did myself think it was "Bachelor" when comparing it to the record above but the 'B' did look rather 'W' like!

I also had the 23rd/25th dilema but I think your right about the 25th. On ancestry the transcriber for James Williams marriage thought it was the 23rd, where as a different trancscriber for Harriet thought it was the 25th :D

Everyone agree the occupations are "Dyer" and "Tailer"?

I have found the following Census record in 1881 which shows James JNR and Harriet living in Holborn St Liverpool and his occupation is a plasterer. It shows his birth place is Manchester.

I believe I have found him living in Manchester in 1871 with his father James SNR but occupation does not match up for James SNR?

Close up image of James SNR occupation in 1871 census. Occupation "G/Bilder"?

Census from 1861 showing James SNR and James JNR.

Close up image of James SNR occupation in 1861 census. Gilder???? (Applied gold leaf for decoration)?

I am trying to validate the link between the marriage certificate and the census documents as the marriage cert says James SNR was a "Dyer" and the census document states a "Gilder"??

Any thought welcome!

Thankyou all to have commented so far very much appreciated!!!

Hmmmmm

I have just come across a possible census in 1881 which may prove that the above censuses for James Senior and James Junior as a child may not be correct.

If you compare it to the 1871 censuses mentioned above all of them are exactly ten years older, althought James SNR is a widower and living in a different region of manchester. If this census is related to the others I have posted above then this would suggest this is not my ancestors family from manchester as James JNR married in 1874 as per the marriage certificate and living in liverpool on the 1881 census?

If these are wrong not sure how I am going to proceed as I cannot find a better match than those mentioned above. :-[

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, Dyer and Tailer/Tailor.

And Gilder.

And a problem. :eek: I would say James the bookkeeper/cashier is not James the plasterer.

Thanks all,

Can anyone give me any pointers in further tracing "James Williams" occupation "Plasterers Labourer" prior to the 1881 census in Liverpool? The 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911 census all state he was born in manchester and born approx 1852. The marriage record 1874 above states his father would be James Williams occupation "Dyer". I have been searching all morning with no success.

If only marriage records required mothers names also this would be alot easier :D

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solidrock2 Genealogy General Help 8
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 0
DaveHam9 Births 12
G Help for Names or Surnames 3
E Births 6