• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Jane Millers

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Just been having another look, I presume the birth date for the 1837 baptism is illegible so could be Anne but baptised when she was older.

I don't want to lead you down a redherring with the Millards - have you checked the images for Jane's birth registration to see if you think she has been registered under both names.

I have a couple of families who inexplicably (so far) changed names mid 1800's.

Gedcom
Hi Gedcom,

It's too good not to order the certs. Even if ones wrong, or both, it's still fascinating. I think you have it right, it's too weird not to be right.
I mentioned in an earlier post that Jane's name went from Burrows to Millers in a couple of months. Witness at a marriage(Burrows) then bride(Millers).

I think the Millers/Millards/Burroughs/Burrows came in from another area, as there are so few entries for all of them in the parish records for this area, and these are from 1575 to 1901. There is no more than 25-30 for that whole period.
I suppose they could have changed their name to Smith for complete anonymity.:)
Thanks for your continuing help.

Steve.:)

marie44

Thats just the problem Marie, I can't find her at all. Only in the parish records for my Gt.Uncle Eli's marriage in 1877. These old fella's over here never wrote in capital print to make things easier.
All I know is the date of marriage, approx age, and her fathers name, and where she turns up after marriage.

who was Gt.Uncle Eli? never mind Dear, i'm all confused now.
marie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

It is possible that Jane's parents married before 1837 as I cannot seem to find a marriage under name variants for either Millard or Burrows.

Ben
Hi Ben,

Anythings possible with this family.

Names so far.
1. - Burroughs
2. - Burrows
3. - Millers
4. - Millards

I think there's more, but these are for starters.:biggrin:

marie44

Thats just the problem Marie, I can't find her at all. Only in the parish records for my Gt.Uncle Eli's marriage in 1877. These old fella's over here never wrote in capital print to make things easier.
All I know is the date of marriage, approx age, and her fathers name, and where she turns up after marriage.

Steve, first of all she was apparently born around 1855 and would be around 6 in the 1861 census with family. did you say Princes Risborough? why would her mothers name be Boroughs if her name is Miller? her father? track him down and see when Jane was born. father must have gotten married some where close to when she was born and it appears they were in Bucks all the time. Steven you have to learn how to be a very good detective to be a good researcher. my husband was a police detective and taught me a lot.:)
ask me some more questions.;)
marie44:)

gedcom

Hi Marie and all

Time for a recap.....

'Eli Ives' married a Jane MILLER, father on marriage certificate John MILLER

Then Steve found this 1881 census for Bledlow, Bucks which threw up the disceprancy - if Esther Burroughs (sic) was the Mother in Law ie. Jane's Mother - then the first thought is that Esther was a Miller but remarried a Burroughs. Following back through the census though that does not seem to be the case.

1881 census Bledlow, Holly Green

Esther Burroughs Head Widow aged 76 born Risborough.
.........Eli Ives 22 Son in Law
.........Jane Ives 28 Wife born Bledlow (Jane Miller on marriage to Eli)
John Ives 3
Amy Ives 1

Then we followed Esther and Jane back through the 1871, 1861 and 1851 census and they are Burrows/Burroughs (just name variations in spelling so no great suprise there) until they POSSIBLY turn out to be called Millards on the 1841 census.

There is a birth registration for a Jane Millard and under the same number (I think) there is a registration for a Jane Burrows.

I am off to have a look for an Esther Millar/Millard marrying a Burroughs/Burrows just to be doubly sure.

Phew......

Gedcom

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well done Gedcom, in a nutshell.
I suppose as a thread goes on, the 'facts' get lost in translation.
As an absolute novice, I need all the help I can get.

Hopefully, when I get Jane(Millers/Millard/Burrows) birth cert(s), some more questions will be answered hopefully.

As usual though, get one answer, you get 10 more questions.:)

Thanks for all your continued help Gedcom, and hopefully we can put this lady to bed. Whoever she turns out to be.:D

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Have been trawling through some Bledlow with Bledlow Ridge parish registers, and found this.

Marriage of William Miller + Philippa Shrimpton. 25/7/1805 (not sure who this might be, but Millers/Millards are very few).

Anne - daughter of John and Esther Millard. baptised 25/6/1837
Emma - daughter of John and Esther Millard. baptised 10/5/1840

Anyone who wants a look:-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lanchbury/genealogy/bledlow1800.html

But as usual, there are some lumps missing.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well done Gedcom, in a nutshell.
I suppose as a thread goes on, the 'facts' get lost in translation.
As an absolute novice, I need all the help I can get.

Hopefully, when I get Jane(Millers/Millard/Burrows) birth cert(s), some more questions will be answered hopefully.

As usual though, get one answer, you get 10 more questions.:)

Thanks for all your continued help Gedcom, and hopefully we can put this lady to bed. Whoever she turns out to be.:D

Oh bother.!!!
Just got Jane Millers(ards) birth and death certs. Born and died 04/11/1852.
Informant on both certs is written as:-
ANN MILLARDS called BURROWS of Olive Green, Bledlow.

Now where do I go.:confused: :)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

Heres Ann Millard in 1851

Civil parish Bedlow
RD Wycombe
Sub RD West Wycome
Address Olive Green

Rachel Williams head age 45 occ lace maker born Henton Oxfordshire
Ann Millard age 18 occ lace maker born Saunderton
Levina? Roberts age 4 born Saunderton

Living next door is the Burrows family John and Esther

Last edited:

marie44

Have been trawling through some Bledlow with Bledlow Ridge parish registers, and found this.

Marriage of William Miller + Philippa Shrimpton. 25/7/1805 (not sure who this might be, but Millers/Millards are very few).

Anne - daughter of John and Esther Millard. baptised 25/6/1837
Emma - daughter of John and Esther Millard. baptised 10/5/1840

Anyone who wants a look:-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lanchbury/genealogy/bledlow1800.html

But as usual, there are some lumps missing.

thanks for the pictures Steven. Marie:)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

In 1851 George Roberts victualler at the carpenters with family, believe he may be the father of Lavinia Roberts. One of the lodgers is a John transcribed a Willer, could be Miller, age 24 occ ag lab born Saunderton.

Class HO107
Piece 1729
Folio 582
Page 7

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Just though he may be a brother of Anns. The surnames are getting confusing.
I think this one is going on the backburner Julie.
Too many names and variatons of them.:D
I'm getting lost, so I'll give Jane Millers(or whatever her name is) a rest, and come back to her in the future.

Thanks for all your efforts.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'm going to regret this.:rolleyes:

There were 2 Mills in Bledlow, Bucks at the time. And Millards, as an occupation, were keepers/workers of Mills.
So Millards became Millers, same job.

So were these Burrows/Burroughs, occupation - keepers of Mills.

Any thoughts.:confused:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Oh bother.!!!
Just got Jane Millers(ards) birth and death certs. Born and died 04/11/1852.
Informant on both certs is written as:-
ANN MILLARDS called BURROWS of Olive Green, Bledlow.

Now where do I go.:confused: :)

I have just gone back for another look at the birth cert and death cert.
The details on both certs are identical in every detail. Every penstroke etc. it's like a carbon copy.
What on earth has gone wrong here.
I did not look close enough at the details, but why would I get an exact copy of the birth details on a death cert.:confused: :confused:

Lincoln Lad

Hi Steve, I am confused as well :confused:

How did you manage to get a death cert if you ordered two birth certificates using the same reference number?

I would have expected to see one birth certificate with the same references and with a fathers name of ???? Millards known as Burrows. Not two different certificates.