• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Jane Millers

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve, is it possible for you to put both certs with the column headings on, I have a feeling that you have put a birth cert on (11 columns) whereas my early death certs have 10 columns
Hi LL,
It is identical. I have placed one over the other, and shone a bright light through the paper and everything is an exact match.
The only difference is the colour of the certs and the official print.

Steve.:)

Lincoln Lad

I think the GRO have made a boo-boo there then, especially if you ordered both birth certs under the different names. I would contact them and ask for an explanation. As I mentioned before, I would expect you to receive the same cert using both surnames. Also I cannot find a death registration for her in Q4 1852.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

What happened about the birth and death certificate?
Sort of Julie, the birth cert was correct, and they could not offer a rational explanation for the entry on death cert.
It was sort of a "friday night" job, a mistake. Got a refund for the death cert.

I'm still at a loss, but the talk of brickwalls popped up and jogged my brain cell.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Still having a look round. I am wondering if a James Burrows born abt 1794 is any connection he is living in Saunderton in 1851 also the family have Saunderton as pob, also he has a brother William born abt 1824. Cant find this lot in 1841, but found a William Burrows born abt 1821 living in Bledlow (cant remember how to spell it :) ). Not sure if they are the same persons.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Still having a look round. I am wondering if a James Burrows born abt 1794 is any connection he is living in Saunderton in 1851 also the family have Saunderton as pob, also he has a brother William born abt 1824. Cant find this lot in 1841, but found a William Burrows born abt 1821 living in Bledlow (cant remember how to spell it :) ). Not sure if they are the same persons.
I can only find John + Esther Millard in 1841. Bledlow with Bledlow Ridge. District 9. Page 5. At Holly Green.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

Sorry its me not being clear.

William Burrows 1841 born abt 1821 is living in Bledlow with Bledlow Ridge.
The Burrows family in 1851 all born Saunderton have a William Burrows brother born abt 1824, I couldnt find this family in 1841 only a William Burrows born abt 1821, so I dont know if he is the same person. Was just trying to find a connection with this Burrows to yours.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I would imagine it is Julie, but only because of location and the 'migration' of several of my family members between Saunderton and Bledlow. The distance between the two communities is about 30 minutes stiff walking.

And also there were 4 mills in that area, and they seem to drift backwards and forwards between them.

1 paper mill, 1 saw mill and 2 flour mills. The flour mills were owned by large farms in the area.

It is a lot of guesswork I know, and I cannot offer any concrete evidence.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Now I have found a MILLER family in Saunderton. 1841 census.

James Miller 25. ag. lab
Mary.20. Launderer.
Jesse ?? 10 months. It does not look like Jesse to me.

Slough Farm.
Saunderton.
Hundred. Desborough.
Bucks.
District 7
page. 3

I'm going nuts here.:D

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Enough with this lady.

Jane Millers. b1852 - Father, John Millers.(had his wicked way, and dissappeared)

Mother- Ann Burrows/Burroughs. b1833 (nee. Millards)

Esther Burroughs. b1805 - Grandmother-in-law to Jane Millers.

If anything crops up in the next 20 years, I will ammend her. Enough.!!

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
After 10 years, I have solved this part of the mystery. But, it doesn't explain the change of name, from Millard/Millers, to Burroughs/Burrows.

Baptism.
25th June 1837 • Holy Trinity, Bledlow. Anne dau of John & Esther Millard Bledlow Labourer.

Baptism.
Jane Millard,, 5 Dec 1852. • Holy Trinity, Bledlow,Buckinghamshire.
daughter of Anne MILLARD of Bledlow, spinster.

Birth Cert. Jane Millard, daughter Ann Millard(otherwise Burroughs). 4th Nov 1852, Olive Green, Bledlow, Bucks.
Baptism - St.Mary's, Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire
25 Dec 1831 Eliza born 4 Jun 1828 daughter of John & Esther MILLARD of Park Place, Labourer.

Marriage - 18 Mar 1854 @ Princes Risborough..
Benjamin BEARFOOT, aged Fa, Bachelor of Looseley Row, Princes Risborough, Labourer son of Thomas Bearfoot, Labourer
Eliza X MILLARDS, aged Fa, Spinster of Bledlow daughter of John Millards, Labourer
Witnesses - George Ginger, John Ayres by Registrars Certificate.

Steve. :)
/

Last edited:
I have also been looking into this family as my Mary Millard married Henry Brooks at Bledlow in 1829. Marriage entry reads Miller however son's birth entry on GRO in 1838 shows maiden name as Millard. They must all be connected in some way. Mary died in 1838 age 30 so it's all been rather difficult.

Email address removed due to forum policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another clue...

There is a Jesse Millards Wellad registered in 1840 - Wycombe Sep Qtr V6 p.378 - mothers maiden name is blank.

This seems to match the 1841 census mentioned in this fourum:

James Miller age 25
Mary age 20
Jesse 10 months

This ties in with the marriage of James Millards and Mary Wellard - Dec Qtr 1840 Wycombe V6 p.743

Also, John Millard and Esther Blick's son Samuel is registered in 1829 as Willards. Wycombe Sep Qtr V6 p.391

Have you managed to track down John Millard's death? It was between the 1871 and 1881 census... Maybe John Miller Sep Qtr 1875, age 70, Wycombe V3a p. 324 ???