• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Janet McLUCKIE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

I have a death certificate for Robert McLUCKIE and informant is a daughter Janet. Her married name looks like PURSELL but I can't find a marriage that fits. It's not RUSSELL - the first letter is not like the other Rs on the page. Janet was born in 1841 Gorbals, Lanark. I've looked for a death on SP using p* and other name McLUCKIE and I only get PAUL and PORTEUS.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a death certificate for Robert McLUCKIE and informant is a daughter Janet. Her married name looks like PURSELL but I can't find a marriage that fits. It's not RUSSELL - the first letter is not like the other Rs on the page. Janet was born in 1841 Gorbals, Lanark. I've looked for a death on SP using p* and other name McLUCKIE and I only get PAUL and PORTEUS.

Regards,

Dave
Dave Hi, It does look like Pursell to me too.

Oz

woodlander

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

There'a a marriage on SP of Janet Ralsten McLuckie - Daniel Porteous in 1862 Glasgow/central Glasgow/Lanark

He is a widower and she is a widow BUT

Her parents are listed as Gavin Ralston coal agent and Agnes Ralsten, maiden name looks like Mitchall

There is a Janet McLuckie marriage to Crawford Jamieson (he is a 21yr old coal miner, (parents Charles, also a miner, and Agnes Jamieson maiden name McDonald)16 July 1858 and her father is Robert McLuckie she is listed as 17, spinster, power loom weaver. Bride and groom both give abode as Blackfaulds Rutherglen
Her parents are Robert McLuckie occ. overs man, and Jane, maiden name Bell
witnesses are Archibald Campbell and Jane McLuckie

Don't know if this helps or if I've increased the puzzle :rolleyes:

Can't see remarriage of a Janet Jamieson to match your signature up to 1880 (random try, didn't have date of your death certificate - oops! sorry! not yours - Robert McLuckie's of course!

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Woodlander,

Thank you very much. You have ruled the PORTEOUS one out for me and solved one mystery.

Robert died in 1894 and his spouse - Jane BELL. :D

I have many death certificates where a 2nd marriage is shown but I can never find the 2nd marriage in the records.

I can explain the PAUL death. Robert's younger brother John's son Alexander and spouse Margaret STEVENSON had a daughter Janet b. 1873 Renfrew. That Janet married a Peter PAUL in 1897 in Partick, Lanark.

EDIT: 1913 JAMIESON JANET MCLUCKIE RUSSELL F 72 CAMBUSLANG GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 627/00 0160

I can't find the 2nd marriage. The first letter still looks like a P and not at all like the R in Rutherglen elsewhere on the page. :confused:

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

woodlander

Valued Member
Hi Dave

Janet died before her second husband Joseph Russell who signed her death certificate as informant. They were married 6th November 1883, at 55 New St Rutherglen which is the address listed as her abode. They are both listed as widowed and Joseph as a foreman at oil works. Her parents' details match as before.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello woodlander,

Thank you very much. I very quickly went from 30 to 3 credits. :2fun: Not enough left to get a copy of Janet's death certificate. I made no progress finding any records for others in my tree. I got lots of 1-credit pages full of index records and found nothing that fitted.

Death 1879 Crawford JAMIESON 1837 +/-2 Rutherglen, Lanark

Regards,

Dave