• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Japan POW - Albert Victor Drewett

From
England
Hello,
I am researching details about my great grand uncle:

Albert Victor Drewett
17/3/1903 - 1960

I have been told that he was a POW in Japan via family members, and I have found no other details other than confirmation here:

http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/camplists/hokkaido/hakodate_2_brits.html

Drewett, Victor A.,QM Sgt,,British,,,,na,Hak-2B-Akahira

This says he was located at:

"Branch Camp #2 was at Akahira-machi, Sorachi-gun and contained 167 Brit and 114 Americans"

If anyone knows where I may be able to find documents, or any further information about why he would of ended up there, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hello

Welcome to the forum, was he ever known as George Albert Victor Drewett??
This is the only information available on Ancestry:

Name: George Albert Victor Drewitt
Birth Date: abt 1901
Birth Place: Chelsea, Middlesex, England
Enlistment Age: 18
Document Year: 1919
Regimental Number: 179518
Regiment Name: MG Corps I??
Number of Images: 6
Form Title: Short Service Attestation
Other Records: Search for 'George Albert Victor Drewitt' in other WWI collections
Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
George Albert Victor Drewitt Self (Head)
Walter Drewitt Father

Amanda

The 2nd Battalion, also a Regular Army unit, fought as a rearguard in the retreat through Burma in 1942. However, the battalion saw little active service afterwards, remaining in British India on internal security duties.

After World War II[edit]

Reduced to one regular battalion after the war, the KOYLI took part in peace-keeping and counter-insurgency operations in the Far East. The battalion finally moved to Berlin in 1967, where it joined The Light Infantry

The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Museum is housed in the same building as the Doncaster Museum & Art Gallery (
WikiMiniAtlas
53.5206°N 1.1273°W). Exhibits include uniforms, weapons, badges, medals, photos and a model of the Pontefract Barracks. Admission is free

Ellie

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Regiment Association
Contact: Minden House, Wakefield Road, Pontefract, West Yorks, WF8 4ES, Tel: 01977 703181

Ellie

Edit-In WW2 both the 5th & 8th Battalions were converted to light anti-aircraft regiments and the 7th Battalion to armour. The 2nd Battalion took part in the longest retreat in British military history, that from Burma to Assam on the frontier of India in the face of the Japanese in early 1942. After the war, the 1st Battalion served during the emergencies in Kenya, Aden and Cyprus and in Sarawak and Brunei, during the Malaysian/Indonesian confrontation

http://www.britisharmedforces.org/li_pages/regiments/koyli/kingyork_index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back