• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Jesse Titshall. Committed suicide in 1894.

benny1982

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hi

My great, great grandfather on my dads side, the male line committed suicide in Suffolk on 30th June 1894 aged 43. His name was Jesse Titshall, a miller who lived in the tranquil hamlet of Letheringham in rural Suffolk. He had 9 children, two by his first marriage.

I have found him in newspaper reports. One of his neighbours always thought that he was strange, but not enough to kill himself. Sorry to sound thick but what could he have meant by strange?

Jesse used strychnine and had previously threatened to kill himself. In Suffolk in the 1890s I think a lot of the mills were shutting down and his son moved to Essex about 10 years after his dad's death.

He was buried at Letheringham churchyard on the 2nd July 1894. No headstone was erected yet his father was quite a successful miller. Jesse's death certificate says that he was "of unsound mind". It might not be a bad idea to find out where his unmarked grave is.

His newborn baby daughter was baptised by her mother in September 1894, and he was still named on the record despite having been dead for 3 months.

I did read that suicide burials took place in the hours of darkness. Did this still occur in the 1890s?

Ben