• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Jewellers markings - 1910 era

gibbo

Loyal Member
We have a wedding ring in my family that belonged to my great grandmother.

The story is that my great grandfather went to Ballarat {VIC Australia} looking for gold and found some. He had the ring made for his future wife [my great grandmother] from the gold he found.

I have my doubts about this family story.

The ring has a name engraved on the inside ? ? Wilson. Family story is that my great grandfather said it is the name of the jeweller who made the ring. I have never seen a jewellers marking like that before, i always thought they were a symbol of some description and not the makers initals and last name.

I feel great grandfather made a little story up and bought the ring second hand from someone by the name of Wilson. Would i be right in thinking this and the family story is just that.. A story :confused:

emeltee

Loyal Member
Does the ring have a hallmark at all? If it doesn't then a fair guess would be that it was not made in England. Therefore, if made elsewhere, eg Oz, then who knows what would have been inscribed.

Emeltee

gibbo

Loyal Member
Does the ring have a hallmark at all? If it doesn't then a fair guess would be that it was not made in England. Therefore, if made elsewhere, eg Oz, then who knows what would have been inscribed.

Emeltee
The only marking i could see besides the engraved name was the symbol for the carot of gold it is. I will check again tomorrow with a magnifying glass and see if anything else is on it.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Now, if you asked me about computers ... :biggrin:

I've ordered a new one custom built to my spec.
My niece had a laptop exactly the same as mine so when hers broke down i pinched it and replaced the keyboard etc on mine. Lucky all the stuff i needed still worked on hers :biggrin:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
If he found/mined the gold, and had a made a ring from it, the purity of the gold would be at it's highest. It would be a softer gold, if I'm right.
I'm sure there is a way of testing that, without damaging the ring.

The harder or colour the gold, the more compatible metals have been added to it......like Copper or Silver, to make it not so susceptible to wear away.

Hence 9 carat, 18 carat, 22 carat etc.

http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/jewellery/metalGuide/carats.cdo

So, if the ring is 24 carat.....it should be easy to find out.

Steve.:)

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Not sure if Jewellers would have the kit but Pawnbrokers used to have one otherwise they wouldn't pawn in hall marked Gold items.
It is a simple piece of kit consisting of a scratch stone and 3 strengths of acid, labelled 9ct, 18ct and 22ct
The item is pulled across the stone on which it leaves a gold line(stone is black)
Then successive drops of acid are put on the line until it disappears and that will be the carat figure - crude but it works - otherwise it will destroy the item! :'(

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks everyone.

I had another look this morning at the ring with a real good magnifying glass.
It still took 2 of us to work out what was engraved on it :rolleyes:

18ct Q3
Chellew & Wilson.

Did some checking and Chellew and Wilson were jewelers. Found this article in Trove around the era my great grandparents married. Donald was also the area where my ancestors lived.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G 1841 Census Request 28