• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Joass mystery

gibbo

Loyal Member
Here you go oz,

18192/1948
JOASS SYDNEY CHARLES A
father ALFRED ALBERT
mother LUCY
district CANTERBURY

The Sydney Morning Herald
Tuesday 10 August 1948

WOMAN CHARGED WITH MURDER
Mabel Flora Rowe, 52, was remanded to August l8 in the Campsie Court yesterday on a charge of having murdered Syd- ney Charles Alexander Joass, 59, at his home in Croydon Street,
Lakemba.
The police prosecutor, Ser- geant , Crittle, told Mr. Doolan, S.M., that Rowe stabbed Joass on , Friday night.
Bail was refused.

The Sydney Morning Herald
Saturday 7 August 1948

Man Dies From Stab In Back
A man, aged 60, was found last night lying on the floor of his home at Lakemba with a deep stab wound in the back. He died soon afterwards.
Early this morning police charged a woman with murder.
The man was Sydney Charles Joass, of Croydon
Street.
Joass earlier last night had visited his mother at her home in Holden Street nearby.
!
^His nephew, Harold Atkin- son, who lives in another house in Holden Street, was also
there.
Joass and Atkinson left about 8.30 p.m. for their homes, and Atkinson's mother went to Joass's home a little more than' an hour later.
She found Joass stretched on the floor.
Blood had gushed from a wound in his back and a knife
was lying nearby, '
She ran out of the house and gave the alarm.
Campsie police found that
Joass was still alive.
Canterbury-Bankstown Am-
bulance rushed him to Canter- bury Hospital, but he died soon
afterwards.
Detective-Inspector Clifton, Detective - Sergeant Brown (Campsie), Detective-Sergeants R. Payne and F. Miller (C.I.B.) and other police investigated.

The Canberra Times
Thursday 19 August 1948

Died From Stab In Lung
SYDNEY. Wednesday.
Mabel Flora Rowe, 52, mar- ried woman, of Lakemba, was present in custody at the Campsie Court 'to-day when an inquiry was opened into the death of Sydney Charles Alex- ander Joass, 59.
The police stated that Rowe told, them that, as she was walk- ing past the home of Joass, she
heard moans. She walked in to investigate and found that Joass had been drinking. He became abusive and threatened to cut her throat with a knife which he picked up. Mrs. Rowe stated that in the struggle the knife must have gone down Joass' back; she did not mean to stab
him.
Medical evidence, was given that the stab had penetrated a
lung.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Found this

The Canberra Times
Wednesday 8 September 1948

NO BILL FILED BY STATE
SYDNEY, Tuesday.
The Crown has declined to file a bill against Mabel Flora Rowe, 52, of Lakemba, who was com- mitted for trial on a charge of having murdered Sydney Charles Alexander Joass, 50.
Mrs. Rowe said, in evidence, that Joass had been drinking and became abusive. He picked up
a knife and was stabbed in struggle that followed.

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
Found this

The Canberra Times
Wednesday 8 September 1948

NO BILL FILED BY STATE
SYDNEY, Tuesday.
The Crown has declined to file a bill against Mabel Flora Rowe, 52, of Lakemba, who was com- mitted for trial on a charge of having murdered Sydney Charles Alexander Joass, 50.
Mrs. Rowe said, in evidence, that Joass had been drinking and became abusive. He picked up
a knife and was stabbed in struggle that followed.
Wow, sounds like a violent man.

Oz

stevegraham85

Loyal Member
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
Ok stupid question from me but does NO BILL FILED BY STATE mean she got of and wasnt charged?:confused:
That's what it sounds like, back in those days police had powers to make recommendations regarding charges, and then left it up to the state on final decision.

Bit hard though to stab yourself in the backthough and being 59 yrs, he was no spring chicken.

Oz

Hi Steve,

Im also looking into the Joass family in Oz. Is your Alfred Joass the son of William and Sarah from London? b. 1830 and married a girl named Ann and had children Alfred, Albert, Amy and Walter? If so I have more info on the family...its not much but Alfred's mother Sarah Crowe was the grandaughter of a slave. If this is the same family get in touch..I would love to know what you have on them too.
All the best,
Kim

Hi Steve,

Im also looking into the Joass family in Oz. Is your Alfred Joass the son of William and Sarah from London? b. 1830 and married a girl named Ann and had children Alfred, Albert, Amy and Walter? If so I have more info on the family...its not much but Alfred's mother Sarah Crowe was the grandaughter of a slave. If this is the same family get in touch..I would love to know what you have on them too.
All the best,
Kim
Hi Kim, great getting this news from you, particularly the slave part it could explain a few things to me, Could you contact me on P.M as I'm most interested and yes all of those Joass's you listed are mine.

According to my tree Sarah Crowe was born about 1792, so if her grandfather was a slave then this would take us back into the very early 1700s.

It looks like this might be you first time on this site,so in order to private message me,just click on stevegraham85, and that will take you through to private message department.

Oz Steve.

Kimba....You need to post 3 replies or put up 3 threads, before you can recieve and send PM (Private Messages).
When your user name turns GREEN, then more facilities of the site will be available to you.

Steve.(p.risboy) Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

All the best,
Kim
Well Kim, you certainly have me intrigued, could you please post again so we can take up from where this was left as of yesterday regarding Joass heritage.

Oz Steve.

Hi Steve, Sorry Ive been busy at work and didnt forget you :)

Im a bit confused on how to use this forum thing maybe you can email me direct at *** I will send you an email back with all my Joass family info....as Im not sure if I can send an attachment on this web site...a few weeks ago a descendant of John and Caroline Joass was in touch with me and she has info that John's father (William) was from Banff, Scotland but I havent followed that up yet. I actually thought he was born in London as thats is whats the 1841 census said. I dont have many photos as my line through John and Caroline's son George Ernest were not keen on keeping photos or keeping other family history stuff.

I have been researching my family for many years now and keep flipping from mums line to dads line so far I have found a few other people who are connected to our Joass lot but it seems Im the only one who has looked into it the most.. I got to John Joass father William but got side tracked with his wife's (Sarah Crowe) family. Anyway I think it was the fact her mother was listed as a negro that got me interested and through the help of the Suffolk mailing list they helped me to gather the info and knowledge that I put together. So send me an email and I will send you what I have...its not much but Im keen to know more about the Joass family and their Scottish links.
All the best,
Kim

Email address removed for security reasons. After several moderated posts the PM (Personal Message) system will be available to you and you may place your email address in a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve, Sorry Ive been busy at work and didnt forget you :)

Im a bit confused on how to use this forum thing maybe you can email me direct at *** I will send you an email back with all my Joass family info....as Im not sure if I can send an attachment on this web site...a few weeks ago a descendant of John and Caroline Joass was in touch with me and she has info that John's father (William) was from Banff, Scotland but I havent followed that up yet. I actually thought he was born in London as thats is whats the 1841 census said. I dont have many photos as my line through John and Caroline's son George Ernest were not keen on keeping photos or keeping other family history stuff.

I have been researching my family for many years now and keep flipping from mums line to dads line so far I have found a few other people who are connected to our Joass lot but it seems Im the only one who has looked into it the most.. I got to John Joass father William but got side tracked with his wife's (Sarah Crowe) family. Anyway I think it was the fact her mother was listed as a negro that got me interested and through the help of the Suffolk mailing list they helped me to gather the info and knowledge that I put together. So send me an email and I will send you what I have...its not much but Im keen to know more about the Joass family and their Scottish links.
All the best,
Kim

Email address removed for security reasons. After several moderated posts the PM (Personal Message) system will be available to you and you may place your email address in a PM.
Kim Hi, moderator removed your email address before i saw your post.

If you Introduce yourself on the intro forum, and reply to 3 welcomes from members you will then be able to use the private message direct to me.

I come straight down from John and Caroline's line myself.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve..........I have been trying to reply all day yesterday but I couldn't even access the FHUK home page for some reason. Well here is your third post :) Can I send attachments to you now?
Kim

Hi Steve..........I have been trying to reply all day yesterday but I couldn't even access the FHUK home page for some reason. Well here is your third post :) Can I send attachments to you now?
Kim
Kim Hi, All i can say is when your name turns green on the left hand side you can send me Private Message and then we can exchange email addresses.

Unless you have something differentRE; SLAVE I have just discovered Henry Norbrook was a black man, possibly African and is my direct ancestor and presumably yours.

I find all this news quite a buzz.

Oz Steve

Last edited: