• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

JOHN BOGS/BOGGS/BOGG LONDONDERRY

My 4 x g-grandparents JOHN BOGS and SARAH MORGAN married at St. Columb Cathedral, Londonderry in 1746. I have a copy of the entry. IGI says that JOHN BOGS was born 1720 Londonderry but haven't found that entry so far.

Their son JOHN BOGGS (different spelling) married DEBORAH KING in 1788 in Quebec City. He was not an emigrant but a British Soldier in the Royal Artillery. They apparently had eleven children but I only know two EDMUND BOGG (spelling change again!) (my 2xg-grandfather) born 1806 Christened Port Church Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, Kent. His brother THOMAS BOGG was christened there in 1809 but I can find no other entries at this church for the family.
I think it likely that other children were born at ports all over Great Britain, maybe Canada and wherever the Royal Artillery took John! However of course I don't know where!

EDMUND BOGG and his family of ten children finally settled in Woolwich, Kent for many years, all working at Woolwich Arsenal. Before that he too was in the Royal Artillery for 23 years!

Now my questions are:

Firstly, is anyone out there researching BOGS/BOGGS/BOGG in Londonderry, Canada, Kent, England who could make a connection?

Secondly I have found Edmund Bogg's children in the Regimental Records on 1837 online however it doesn't shown John Bogg's children. How far back do the records go for the Regimental Birth Records? and also the Marriage Records? I presume these are kept at Kew but I can't access them online.

Thirdly I suffer from M.E. (Chronic Fatigue) I therefore don't have the energy to go to Kew myself. Can anyone recommend a researcher? That is if the records go back as far as at least 1788 when JOHN BOGGS married and the birth records forward from that date!

Would appreciate any help!

Thank you

Frances

I don't know if this thread is still active ? I have just purchased a letter written by John Boggs in 1809 regarding his two sons at the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea. It explains why the sons births were not registered.

As this tread is so old I'm not expecting an answer!!!

Jim

oznannie

Loyal Member
I was wondering why it was listed as an Aslyum.
(I was only thinking of latter years as a Workhouse)
It was also the Duke of York's Royal Military school in Chelsea.
I hope this helps in bumping up your post :)
oznannie

Hi, oznannie
Thanks for the thought. I have no interest in the name Boggs other than the military history. I purchase original letters from the early 19th century with military content and then do the background research if any. When I got the "Boggs" letter I just searched the name on Google and realised that there were a number of people researching "my" John Boggs. My letter and my research from the military viewpoint seemed to answer their questions regarding his wife and children.

To answer your question, "Asylum" in this case means a refuge, I suppose similar to a workhouse but the living conditions and education given were exemplary for the period. It was primarily for orphans, of both sexes, of regular soldiers in the Napoleonic wars. There was an order of intake... if they had room they would take children of dead fathers or fathers on foreign service, then with dead mothers right down to those with retired fathers. It was not called the Royal Military School until 1909 when it moved to new premises in Dover where it is still in operation today but now as a boarding school for serving personnel of all three services.

Hello Frances:
I wonder if we are cousins???
I have family that seem to have originated from there.
My 3rd great-grandfather, Andrew Boag (Boags) (Boggs)(Bongs)(Boagues)
BIRTH 1791 • Londonderry, Ireland
DEATH NOV. 24, 1868 • Weavers Vennel, Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland

he married Elisabeth Hendrie/Henry.

i have been looking for the last few hours but nothing. I only have the free ancestry rigth now so that doesn't help :(

Rhonda Kennedy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 13
DaveHam9 Deaths 0
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 2
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 6
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 5
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 1