• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

JOHN BOGS/BOGGS/BOGG LONDONDERRY

My 4 x g-grandparents JOHN BOGS and SARAH MORGAN married at St. Columb Cathedral, Londonderry in 1746. I have a copy of the entry. IGI says that JOHN BOGS was born 1720 Londonderry but haven't found that entry so far.

Their son JOHN BOGGS (different spelling) married DEBORAH KING in 1788 in Quebec City. He was not an emigrant but a British Soldier in the Royal Artillery. They apparently had eleven children but I only know two EDMUND BOGG (spelling change again!) (my 2xg-grandfather) born 1806 Christened Port Church Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, Kent. His brother THOMAS BOGG was christened there in 1809 but I can find no other entries at this church for the family.
I think it likely that other children were born at ports all over Great Britain, maybe Canada and wherever the Royal Artillery took John! However of course I don't know where!

EDMUND BOGG and his family of ten children finally settled in Woolwich, Kent for many years, all working at Woolwich Arsenal. Before that he too was in the Royal Artillery for 23 years!

Now my questions are:

Firstly, is anyone out there researching BOGS/BOGGS/BOGG in Londonderry, Canada, Kent, England who could make a connection?

Secondly I have found Edmund Bogg's children in the Regimental Records on 1837 online however it doesn't shown John Bogg's children. How far back do the records go for the Regimental Birth Records? and also the Marriage Records? I presume these are kept at Kew but I can't access them online.

Thirdly I suffer from M.E. (Chronic Fatigue) I therefore don't have the energy to go to Kew myself. Can anyone recommend a researcher? That is if the records go back as far as at least 1788 when JOHN BOGGS married and the birth records forward from that date!

Would appreciate any help!

Thank you

Frances

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
juliejtp Wills 3
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 2
K Travel and Migration 60
juliejtp Marriages 5
A English Genealogy Roots 0