• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

John Britton and Sarah (Probaby Adcock).

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My ancestor was John Britton (1783-1862) born in Felsted, Essex in 1782/1783, son of John and Ruth Britton. He married Sarah and they had Louisa Britton in 1817 and Jemima Britton in 1819. John lived most of his life in Witham, Essex.

I did find a marriage in Rayne, Essex of a John Britton widower of Felsted, to Sarah Dalby (marital status not given), in January 1811. Witnesses John L Hills and H. Hance. However that seems to be John Snr born c1749. Ruth Britton died in July 1810. I think John Snr died in 1813 aged 64 (born c1749).

I found a marriage in April 1803, by licence of a John Britton to Sarah Adcock in Finchingfield. Witnesses James Willshire and Sam Choat. John was of Witham, and Sarah of Finchingfield. They had a daughter Ruth Britton in 1803 and Lindemira Britton in 1805 I think. This seems a more likely marriage, especially as John's mother was Ruth and his eldest daughter was Ruth. Sarah Britton died in Witham in 1849 aged 75 so born c1774. SEAX des not have the 1803 licence bond in their indexes so maybe it was not indexed, or at a court (Such as Bishop of, so and so) where the records do not survive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 0
DaveHam9 Births 2
DaveHam9 Marriages 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 50
benny1982 FHUK General Chat Room 1