• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

John Britton. From Essex to Kent then back.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 5xgreat grandfather was John Britton c1774-1862. He was a cordwainer.

He was born in Felstead in Essex. There is a baptism in 1783 of a John Britton which is a bit late but he may have been baptised later. He married Sarah (unknown surname) in about 1800. Sarah is on the 1841 census aged 60 and she died in 1849. I think she was born about 1780.

John had two known children Louisa Britton and Jemima Britton. Louisa is my 4xgreat grandmother. She says on censuses that she was born in Lee, Kent. I have found her baptism in 1817 at St Margaret Lee, Kent daughter of John and Sarah a cordwainer. Born 2 February 1817. There are two Lee's in Kent. She was baptised at the Lee which is near Lewisham now in South London.

Louisa wed in 1839 in Witham, Essex aged 22, father John a cordwainer. Jemima Britton was a witness.

I have not yet fund Jemima's baptism. It would be good to find Sarah's maiden name and to see how long they were in Kent. Sarah says she was born in Essex in the 1841 census but she died in 1849. It is possible they met in Kent though.

Ben

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Deaths 4
DaveHam9 Deaths 30
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 1
DaveHam9 Births 3
benny1982 FHUK General Chat Room 1