• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Cook b 1843

jood

Valued Member
I'm looking for descendants & spouse of a John Cook born in Sheet, Hampshire on 31 Dec 1843. He was the son of Daniel Cook and Sally Philps (Phelps). I understand he was on the 1851 census with his father - he was aged 7. He wasn't with his father from other censuses.

If it is the same John Cook he appears in Australia at a later date. This John had at least one son Frank. This John was said to have been born in Manchester, but I'm wondering if Manchester and Hampshire looked the same on a census sheet. This John worked in the railways here (South Australia) and died 12 January 1912. Some of my relatives went to the funeral, so he must be related in some way.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Is this any use to you, appears to be Frank's death notice in 1912 and not his father's

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931)(about)
Tuesday 30 January 1912

COOK.—On the 9th January, at Hay street, West Perth, Frank, the dearly beloved husband of Susannah Susie Cook, son of late John Cook, of Balaklava, South Australia, loco. foreman, W. A. Government Railways. Wagin, W. A., aged 41 years.

Western Australia death index
COOK FRANK
Male
PERTH
reg no. 34
year 1912

WA burial
COOK Frank
Age 41
Date of death 09/01/1912
Grave Location KARRAKATTA CEMETERY
Area or Denomination WESLEYAN
Section DA
Grave 0119

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954)(about)
Monday 19 June 1933

Mr. William Williams, of Military road. Largs Bay, who died at Semaphore on Friday at the age of-83, was born at One Tree Hill, and was the third son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Wil liams. He began work on the land near Terowie, but later moved to Belalie East, where he farmed for many years. Later he settled at Gawler. and eleven years ago went to Largs Bay with his family For many years Mr. Wil liams was a member of the Jamestown District Council. He was a keen bowler, being a past president of the Gawler Club, and an active member of the Semaphore Club. He was married 52 years ago to Miss E. A. Cook, only daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Cook, formerly of Manchester. England. and Balaklava, South Australia . He leaves a widow, three sons—Messrs. Wil liam Williams 'Willaston) Sidney Wil iianis (Sydney), end James Williams (Belalie East)—and five daughters— <Mesdames T. Stanley (Gawler), L. V. Freak (Portland), P. Springrbett (York, Western Australia), N. H. Campbell (Mitcham), and Albert Baldock (Largs Bay).

gibbo

Loyal Member
Looks like you John died in 1886

The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858 - 1889)(about) Wednesday 16 February 1887

COOK.—In loving remembrance of my dear husband, John Cook, of Balaklava. and the dearly beloved father of Mrs. William Williams, of Belalie East, who departed this life on the 18th of February, 1886, aged 43 years .

Death notice for your John's wife

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931)(about)
Friday 10 November 1899

COOK.-On the 6th November, at Jamestown, Mrs. E. A. Cook, widow of the late John Cook, Balaklava, and beloved mother of Mrs. Wm. Williams, Belalie East, Wm. Cook, Hawker, and Frank Cook, North Fremantle. W.A., aged 55 years.

Jamestown cemetery

COOK, Elizabeth Ann, age 57, bur. 05/11/1899, Plot: AS12, Date

http://www.interment.net/data/aus/sa/norareas/jamestown/jamestown_c.htm

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
3 kids so far for your John and Elizabeth

William Cook .. married Florence Edith Bales 1890

Frank Cook .. born approx 1871.. married Susannah Lukie (Tottie) Williams n 1890
Death index W.A COOK FRANK Male PERTH reg no. 34 year 1912

Elizabeth ann Cook... married william williams in 1881.
Death index S.A 1911 355/405 WILLIAMS Elizabeth Ann relative William WILLIAMS (DH) Adelaide

Still trying to find where they were born.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Looks like who might be your family in 1871 otherwise i have been chasing the wrong family all arvo :eek::eek:

Name: John Cook
Event:Census
Event Date:1871
Relationship to Head of Household:Self
Birthplace:petersfield, Hants
Record Type:Household
Registration District:Wareham
Sub-district:Swanage
Event Parish:Swanage
County Dorsetshire

John Cook M 28 Petersfield, Hants
Wife Elizabeth A Cook F 26 Langton, Dorsetshire
Daughter Elizabeth A Cook F 6 Langton, Dorsetshire
Son John J Cook M 4 Brighton, Surrey
Son William Cook M 2 Swanage, Dorsetshire
Son Frank Cook M 0 Swanage, Dorsetshire

gibbo

Loyal Member
Arrival south Australia in 1881

Cook 1881 Frank ..........81/1
Cook 1881 Elizabeth A. ......81/1 (X2)
Cook 1881 William ...........81/1
Cook 1881 John .............81/1

Damn thing wont give me a name for the ship :mad: :rolleyes:

Elizabeth A married William William's in November 1881 so i would say they arrived in the beginning of the year.

Last edited:

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Gibbo - yes you are on the right track - thank you. My Mum's mum was a Cook - and some of the females in that family attended the funeral, but I'd not been able to place this John as he says he is from Manchester, where the rest of the family came from Sheet or Petersfield in Hampshire (are those places close by?) Maybe he left Hampshire for Manchester. I was just hoping the 1861 census would show him somewhere to decide once and for all. They MUST be related, otherwise Mum's aunties wouldn't have gone to the funeral, and we were all from Perth, WA as well.

I'm grateful for the information you found.

Late news - and this could be the answer - tho why Manchester is mentioned in the earlier posts, beats me.

High Street, Swanage, Dorset
John Cook Head Mar 28 Bricklayer Hants. Petersfield
Elizabeth A Cook Wife Mar 26 Dorset Langton
Elizabeth A Dau 6 Scholar Dorset Langton
John J Cook Son 4 Scholar Sussex Brighton
William Cook Son 2 Dorset Swanage
Frank Cook Son 2 months Dorset Swanage

So with the above info and what you have found for me - I now know how they are related. The Manchester bit is a worry!!!!

Thank you again Gibbo

Ooooh you found them coming out here!!! Many thanks.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
No maiden name for Elizabeth:

name: Elizabeth Ann Cook
baptism/christening date: 25 Sep 1864
baptism/christening place: LANGTON MATRAVERS, DORSET, ENGLAND
birth date:
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: John Cook
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Elizabeth
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C01261-2
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 1239203
reference number:

jood

Valued Member
I haven't found it yet, but it must be prior to or near to 1865 (that's what I worked out the oldest child to have been born) - The wife was from Dorset (Langton) - he was supposedly from Petersfield Hants. - so it could be either of those places or Manchester even.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I can't find it.

I have matched all the Elizabeth A's born 1844-1845 in Langton Matravers, Dorset to a John COOK married anywhere in England 1861-1866 and no hits.

There are two other Langtons in Dorset and of course lots of Elizabeths without middle initial A.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Langton Herring = Weymouth

Langton Matravers = Wareham

Langton Long Blandford = Blandford

I tried all the Elizabeth A's born 1844-1845 in those three registration districts for a marriage anywhere in England 1860-1866 no hits.

Even assuming she was born in one of the three Langtons 1844-1845 there are too many Elizabeths with no initial A to try the same thing.

gibbo

Loyal Member
IF they married i reckon it would have been in 1863 or early part of 1864.
Baptism of first baby, Elizabeth Ann was 25 Sep 1864.

Birth reg.

Births Sep 1864 (>99%)
COOK Elizabeth Ann Wareham 5a 285

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, I did Wareham first.

Should we assume Elizabeth was not born in Dorset?

Ok 1863-1864 anywhere in England to an Elizabeth - 28 hits.

Only one Elizabeth Ann on that list but I have not matched the couples:

Marriages Sep 1863
BARTON Elizabeth Ann Mile End 1c 1046
Burrows Richard Mile End 1c 1046
Cook John Mile End 1c 1046
SOULSBY Isabella Mile End 1c 1046

No Elizabeth BARTON born Dorset 1842-1846

Last edited: