• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

John Cook - stonemason

jood

Valued Member
I have been chasing up a John Cook who was a stonemason, I thought - in Overbury, got so far and was stuck.

I have just discovered there were some other John Cook's who were stone masons and wondered if someone could check out the 1841 census for me.

On notes from England, the Slaters Directory for 1851 Glos, shows a John Cook, Stone mason of Wilson St. St Pauls, Bristol, and a John & Richard Cook, stone and marble masons of Lower Wilson Place, Bristol. Also a John Cook, stone mason of 2 Lower Cheltenham Road/Place, Montpelier.

I do have the marriage certificate for his daughter Ann Elizabeth Cook who married James Heaven in the Established church Parish of Corse, Newent, Glos (banns read) on 8 Sept 1851 when she would have been about 23 (she'd been born in Overbury Worc) The Certificate says she is of full age.

So I am looking for a John Cook - a stone mason, born about the late 1790s or very early 1800s with a wife and at least one daughter Ann Elizabeth who was about 13.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
this one is the right age with the right daughter but there is no mention of an occupation in the original, it is blank.

It is in Overbury though.

COOK, John M 42 1799
COOK, Elizebeth F 40 1801 Worcestershire
COOK, William M 18 1823 Worcestershire
COOK, Miriam F 16 1825 Worcestershire
COOK, Ann F 14 1827 Worcestershire
COOK, Joseph M 11 1830 Worcestershire
COOK, Mary F 2 1839 Worcestershire
COOK, Sarah F 6 1835 Worcestershire
COOK, Martha F 4 1837 Worcestershire
COOK, Rhoda F 1 1840 Worcestershire
HARRIS, Mary F 82 1759 Worcestershire

Piece:1202

Book/Folio:16/6

Page: 6

Registration District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Overbury

Municipal Borough:

Address: Overbury, Overbury

County: Worcestershire

Last edited by a moderator:

jood

Valued Member
Thanks Barbarajoh, that's the one I've been using for years, but not getting anywhere. The same family is shown in the 1851/61 and so on - and he IS a stonemason, but I wondered if Bristol or Montpelier would have had a census, - I have no clue how far away they are from Overbury, Worc.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
40 miles as the crow flies! But don't quite understand what you are after. If this is the right man are you trying to find his business? he could have worked for someone else in Overbury? sorry if I am missing a point somewhere!

Barbara

jood

Valued Member
Sorry Barb, some many years ago I pulled this John Cook out of the Census Lists

1841 Census for Overbury, Worc., shows,
John Cook aged 42 (not of the parish),
Elizabeth Cook, 41, of the parish,
William 18,
Miriam 16,
Ann 14,
Joseph 11,
Mary 2,
Sarah, 6,
Martha 4 and
Rhoda 1.
also Mary Harris aged 82.

1851 Census
John 52 Mason Ipsley Worc
Elizabeth 52 Silk tyer Overbury Worc
Sarah Dau 16 " "
Rhoda 11 Silk tyer " "
Thomas 9 Scholar " "
Charles 2 Grandson " "

1861 Census
John Cook b 1799 62 Mason
Elizabeth b 1801 62 born Conderton, Worc.
Thomas b 1842 19 Mason
Emma Hughes b 1843 18 Shipton, Worc.
Emma Beachey b 1839 Blockley, Worc.

1871 Census
Elizabeth Cook abt 1801 Overbury, Worcestershire, Wife Overbury
John Cook abt 1799 Ipsley, Warwickshire, Head Mason

I can't get anywhere with it - and wondered if there was yet another John Cook who was a Mason (that's when I sent the other addresses to you - Bristol & Montpelier.

If you think there was only one John Cook in any of those places, then obviously the one I've been working on is correct.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I better stay with this John Cook then.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
And when you say you aren't getting anywhere with it? Do you mean further back? I will check but that family seemed the most likely as i did a search for an Ann around 13 with a John in the family but if she was born in Overbury it does look likely you have the right one. And you have Ellizabeth's mother there on the census too or at least likely mother as John m Elizabeth Harris in 1821.

But please let me know if I can help further.

Barbara

jood

Valued Member
And when you say you aren't getting anywhere with it? Do you mean further back? I will check but that family seemed the most likely as i did a search for an Ann around 13 with a John in the family but if she was born in Overbury it does look likely you have the right one. And you have Ellizabeth's mother there on the census too or at least likely mother as John m Elizabeth Harris in 1821.

But please let me know if I can help further.

Barbara
Barbara, what I am saying is I know John Cook is my ancestor, but I don't know his wife's full name. I am only guessing it to be Elizabeth Harris, but no proof. If it is possible to get a marriage certificate I will, (for 7 Sept 1821 in St Faithful's Church, Overbury (if they do marriage certificate for that time and if there could be some information on it. If I assume that because this John Cook was a Mason, then it is likely her name is Elizabeth Harris, but then I come to another full stop. I have noted a baptism on FamilySearch for Betty Harris, 20 Dec 1801 Overbury, parents John and Mary.

Elizabeth was 41 at time of Census, making her born c. 1800. A death was recorded for Elizabeth Cook on July 12 1872, aged 71, No. 587. Would getting a death certificate for this date give me any idea who her parents were or if she is the Elizabeth Harris I am looking for?

The "Mother" shown as Mary Harris 82 on the 1841 census might just have been a lodger or visitor - there is no proof that Elizabeth's name was harris.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ah Jood, with you now and it is good that you don't want to assume anything but do think that having the lady Harris in the census living with them is a good clue that John's wife was Harris as you know there was a Harris/Cook marriage in Overbury at the right time. The bride would marry in her home town and you know she was born in Overbury. You won't get a certificate back then but some ministers or parish clerks wrote a lot in the registers and some didn't. You need some kind person with local knowledge to tell you if John's occupation is likely to be mentioned or any of the couple's parents. It may say John is a mason of "Ipsley" if you are lucky and may mention her parents.

If there is only one Betty/Elizabeth Harris born in Overbury at that time and you know an Elizabeth Harris married John Cook also in Overbury at the right time ie just before the birth of the children, then I would say you have the right family. A death certificate might prove she is the wife of John by the address or the informant but wouldn't give you the maiden name.

I think you have to find some kind soul perhaps on rootschat or another help forum who is willing to do a look up to see what the marriage says.

And you could follow them on the census in the hope that other Harris relations stay with them at some point to give you extra proof. Or live next door as families often stayed together at that time.

Good luck with this, you are almost there.

Barbara